What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 without a data plate

taxelrod

I'm New Here
I recently purchased an RV-7A with an IO-360 A1A. I just became aware that the engine has no data plate. The engine log begins in 2006, shortly before the builder completed the airplane, and lists the serial number as "5". The first entry is for a disassembly and reassembly with some new parts. This was followed ten years later by a complete overhaul. I've never run across an engine without a data plate, and neither have my local A&P's. Does anyone have insight into this scenario?

I recently purchased an RV-7A with an IO-360 A1A. I just became aware that the engine has no data plate. The engine log begins in 2006, shortly before the builder completed the airplane, and lists the serial number as "5". The first entry is for a disassembly and reassembly with some new parts. This was followed ten years later by a complete overhaul. I've never run across an engine without a data plate, and neither have my local A&P's. Does anyone have insight into this scenario?
When a certified engine becomes an experimental engine because of exchange of parts or work perfomed it
may be possible that the seller wants to
limit the risk of missunderstandings and
liability. By removing the engine plate engine is no longer certified.

Good luck

I have never had the FAA or a DAR question where a engine data plate was installed. Experimental engine builders usually create their own data plates.

Engine data plate is only required if the engine/prop combination is certificated and you are requesting a 25 hr. Phase I.

Call Aerosport Power and they can send you one. You can get it engraved. It can at least say if it's I/O-320/360, rpm and hp. Compression ratio is good too in case you have HC pistons.

I bought an engine from Pen Yann and the data plate was pulled because it was modified to high compression pistons.

A data plate means nothing except a general indication of what sort of model it started life as. If the engine was installed on an experimental, it is not a certified engine-aircraft combination and could not be re-installed on a certified airplane without further inspection. Update any service bulletins that seem to apply, document them, and press on.

It was my understanding that when you modified a certified engine for an use in experimental aircraft, the data plate needed to be removed.

The engine may have been born a certified engine. Installing non stc/pma certified parts like high compression pistons or total seal piston rings etc make it a non certified engine.

When I went to school to become an FAA Certificated Parachute Rigger the instructor said you could make a parachute out of banana leaves if you wanted 😅 (sport parachute) but if making a TSO’d Emergency Parachute there are standards to adhere to. There are things the FAA really cares about and then there are other things that they have no interest in regulating. Engines in experimental airplanes and data plates is one of them. Just don’t try putting that engine in a Cessna.🤔

Back