What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A210 Recommendation?

Joe

Well Known Member
Looking to buy one or two com radios. I have (and like) an IC-A200 in my Long-EZ and would buy two more for my RV-8A today if they were still sold. Alas, all the used ones sell for almost as much as their cost new -- ridiculous for electronic gear. But it's hard to beat the pricing of the IC-A210, especially from Calgary Pilot Supply

Can an actual IC-A210 user give me a recommendation for that radio, either good or bad? I remember hearing of some undesirable operating characteristics with regard to its "dual watch" feature but then there was a firmware update and I wonder if that has cleared it up. Also, are there any issues with the unconventional way the panel is removed from the tray?

Thanks,
Joe

With the firmware the unit seems to operate as intended dual-watch wise. Also, assuming you don't take the unit in and out very often (why would you?), the ribbon cable, while hokey, is fine and doesn't cost too much to replace if needed.

If all you want is a single comm radio, the A210 is an excellent choice based on it's ability to dual monitor freqs. If you are on flight following or fir clearance you can't get atis without having to leave atc freq as well as contact flight watch for wx if you don't have XM wx. I've found the a210 to be easy to use in turbulence as well as at night in my 8. You can also load channel presets if you are flying through the same airspace frequently.

One great feature of this radio is the ability to connect three mono inputs to it. For a VFR ship this makes connecting you EFIS and EMS audio signals to you headset a snap.

Wen I had iCom update the firmware, I had them throw a spare ribbon cable in the box so I would have one if needed. I recently needed to replace the cable, it was handy to have the spare. Need to go pick another one up from iCom one of these days.

I still wonder why they didn't use a card-edge connector or a db25 or something like that for a more solid connection there, but I can't complain about the radio otherwise.

Wen I had iCom update the firmware, I had them throw a spare ribbon cable in the box so I would have one if needed. I recently needed to replace the cable, it was handy to have the spare.

Good advice, I did the same and the last time I had to pull my radio I finally changed the cable for good measure. It was handy having a spare ribbon on the bench.

One great feature of this radio is the ability to connect three mono inputs to it. For a VFR ship this makes connecting you EFIS and EMS audio signals to you headset a snap.

do you mean it has a few 1/8" audio jacks like for connecting an ipod etc? Or RCA jacks?

Calgary pilot supply

Bought mine from them, they had a great price at the time, just beware if you send it to Icom USA you might not get free updates or warranty work. I had a squelch issue with mine, they fixed it but I had to pay a minimal fee.
Otherwise I like mine just fine, and use it over the 430 usually. Like others I don't like the connector or the method of installing it. Although that issue is the cost of OLED display.
Tim
Dues paid.

You should be able to get a good, used A200 for $300-400. I got one a few years ago on ebay, and it's still going strong.

-Rob

do you mean it has a few 1/8" audio jacks like for connecting an ipod etc? Or RCA jacks?
No, the radio has three mono inputs on the main wiring harness. I hard wired my SkyView right into the radio. The radio was then wired into my two place stereo intercom. That way you don't need an audio panel to get all the sounds into your headsets. You can download the manaul from their site, it will detail what I'm talking about.

Regarding the software upgrades. I recently had an issue with my A210 in that it wouldn't squelch. I sent it back and they performed another software upgrade AND put an upgraded connector on the panel. They said I had damaged the original connector, which was BS and might have been their internal flag to do the ribbon cable upgrade.

The firmware and ribbon cable upgrades didn’t cost me anything; however, they did ship the thing back via ground, so I didn’t have a radio for two weeks. Not a big deal.

Love my 210

The dual watch works good after the fireware upgrade. Having the ability to moniter 2 frequencies is VERY handy. I used the remote functionality of the 210 to put a few of the radio controlls on my stick, I really like that feature. It really is a good radio for the price.

Randy
8A

Regarding the software upgrades. I recently had an issue with my A210 in that it wouldn't squelch. I sent it back and they performed another software upgrade AND put an upgraded connector on the panel.
Bill, can you tell me what software version you're running now? I had a squelch issue a while ago that seems to have cleared with the new cable, but just in case it reoccurs i'm curious whether i'm running the latest...

Bill, can you tell me what software version you're running now? I had a squelch issue a while ago that seems to have cleared with the new cable, but just in case it reoccurs i'm curious whether i'm running the latest...

I knew someone was going to ask that question.

They upgraded me to: 1.63.001

To find out your version, hold the flip-flop button while you turn on the radio.

One of the changes with with this upgrade is they put the squeltch as the first setting when you go into setup mode.

Last edited:
I put an A-210 in my RV-6 and have had no trouble with it in the year and one half since first flight. The one complaint I have is that the knob you use to change frequencies is a little to easy to move and the detents are "soft". In turbulance it is sometimes hard to select the correct frequency the first time. I told the Icon folks about it at OSH last summer and they seemed interested in my input. As for the ribbon cable, I installed the radio once and have not messed with it. and i have not had any trouble in that department. The ability to monitor two frequencies is great and almost eliminates the need for a second radio. I have a Icon A 200 in another airplane that I bought used about ten years ago and it has worked flawlessly. For the price, Icon is a lot of bang for the buck.

Notice that my original A210 made it back into my new panel upgrade. It works great now with the later firmware....I had no good reason to swap it out to something else.

I knew someone was going to ask that question.

They upgraded me to: 1.63.001

To find out your version, hold the flip-flop button while you turn on the radio.

One of the changes with with this upgrade is they put the squeltch as the first setting when you go into setup mode.

I'm fairly certain that squelch isn't first when I go into setup mode, so I'm probably not up-to-date. Conveniently, iCom has a repair center close to me that I can drive to... Firmware upgrades are free, but I have to leave the radio with them for a few days to do it.

Bought mine with the VAF group buy years ago. Nothing fancy but I'm not a very fancy pilot and it works fine.

I don't have the firmware upgrade so the "dual" function is a waste of time for me.

I've been trying to contact the company to find out how to get the firmware upgrade, but I've not had any luck getting a response.

Bob

Go to Icom website and download the repair return form. Fill it out and send in your radio to the address. Write a seperate note with any issues or requests. I did not have an issue reaching customer service, but all they are going to tell you is send it in with the form. No RMA required.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/PartsAndService/default.aspx

I have sent mine back twice. Once for firmware #1 and just recently for failure to transmit (could hear fine) after about 20 minutes of operation. Led to a very nervous 15 minutes while I contemplated on what to do trying to get into controlled airspace on my first flight! Figured out if I turned it off and back on it would work again for another 15-20 minutes. I gave detailed fault history, requested the latest upgrade, and requested to order 2 new ribbon cables to have on hand for spares. The issue turned out to be a squelch issue. All was upgraded, repaired, and they included 2 new cables at no charge. Return shipping was also paid.

It is back in the -8 and works great. Not happy about the design, but can't fault the company's customer service.

Last edited:
Icom Radios

Notice that my original A210 made it back into my new panel upgrade. It works great now with the later firmware....I had no good reason to swap it out to something else.

My A-200 made it back into my new panel upgrade too. As others have said, I also prefer using my A-200 to communicate with and relegate my Garmin 430W for monitoring other frequencies. IMHO They are great radios and I had no reason to swap it out for something else. :cool:

Back