What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A-210 wiring help

VETE76

Well Known Member
I need help on hooking up the wires from the molex plug to the head phone jacks.
J is wire or shield? is it soldered to mic jack tip, center or ground?

8 is wire or shield? is it soldered to mic jack tip, center or ground?

K is wire or shield? is it soldered to mic jack tip, center or ground?

H is wire or shield? is it soldered to hd phone jack tip, center or ground?

7 is wire or shield? is it soldered to hd phone jack tip, center or ground?

thanks
fred

not doing Audio control panel nor speaker.

Last edited:
J is a center conductor in a shielded cable and is connected to the Mic1 Ring or center connection

8 is the shield of a shielded cable and is connected to the Mic sleeve or what you call ground. It is also connected to one side of your PTT switch.

K is a center conductor in a shielded cable and is connected to the Mic2 Ring or center connection

H is a conductor in a shielded cable and is connected to the Headphone Tip and will be mono. Stereo headsets will only work on the Left side unless they have a switch to tie the two phones together or you use a stereo jack and tie the tip and ring terminals both to the H conductor.

7 is the shield of a shielded cable and is connected to the headphone sleeve or what you call ground.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
The above is either incorrect or missing some information. The mike is connected to the "ring" or "center" terminal, you must have a wire going there.
The "tip" is for the PTT switch. If you have a built in PTT on your stick then this wire goes there. It only needs to go to the jack if you anticipate plugging in a portable PTT there, or if you are using a hand held mike with built in PTT.
Finally, for best noise immunity, use a third wire inside a shielded cable to run the "ground" side of the jack back to the radio, and ground both this wire and the shield at the radio. Leave the shield open at the jack. Also the jack needs to be insulated from the airframe by using fiber washers. (Same rule for the headphones). If you are not planning any music or intercom the extra noise may not bother you, or you may be lucky and not have any, so I'd say floating the jacks off the airframe is optional for you. But it's little work, and won't hurt and may help.

Good catch Bob, I was in a rush when I wrote that. The mic goes to the ring terminal. I have edited my prior post.

The problem is the wiring diagram provided by Icom stinks and does not follow standard practices.

It is best to look at a real intercom's manual and follow their suggestions and just substitute the right pins from the A210 where needed.

The aeroelectric info linked above is also great info!

Last edited:
what happens if i ground the shiels at the jacks?
because i didnt at he radio, no grounds hooed up at the radio.
here's exactly what i did
i started by running 3 wires from radio to jacks. each wire had 2 wires and one shield.

wire A. 1 wire to J at radio connected to mic 1 with shield to common tang.
second wire to 8 at radio connected to mic 1 to ring tang.

wire B. 1 wire to K at radio connected to mic 2 to ring tang.
second wire to 8 at radio connected to mic 2 to common tang. shield not connected to either radio nor jack.

wire C. 1 wire to H at radio connected to hd phone 1 to tip tang.
second wire to 7 at radio connected to hd phone 1 to common tang. shield not connected to either radio nor jack.

then i took another 3 wire (2wire /1 shield) and connected hd phone 1 to head phone 2. tip/tip, common/common. shield not connected to either jack.

I turned radio on and set to ksyr atis. i heard it in both head sets, both ears. I do not have a ptt for copilot. the wife took the handheld and we tuned to 123.45. w/pilot headset. i talked to her and she heard me. she tx'd to me and i heard her. intercome worked pilot to copilot but no copilot to pilot.
man i am way over my head in this wirinh a radio. i wired the whole plane and never had a problem reading the horrible one from vans and making all instruments work etc.
thanks for helping. what is right/ wrong with above?

2nd question. my partner and i built our rv 7s together. he had his done and flown in sep. i bought 8 head set jacks, 4 for him, 4 four for me. at the time we did his sl40 radio and gar nav/com, which steinair prewired everything so we just mounted the 4 plugs w/out fiber washers and ran the wires to the jacks. radios are perfect. no static, just no problems at all. but no isolation at all. what gives?

Pin 8 has to go to ground on both mikes; J and K to the ring terminals on mikes 1 and 2, respectively. I described "best practices" for the shields and insulating the jacks above.
What happens if you don't follow these "single point" grounding rules? Maybe nothing. Or maybe you hear some alternator whine or strobe power supply noise but it's not objectionable. Or it's okay now but gets worse in time as a tiny amount of corrosion forms at a skin overlap joint. It is rare to hear any of these problems unless the alternator and strobes are running. For many aircraft these problems come up with CD players feeding the audio system, and the CD running off ship's power. It's mostly insurance against possible gremlins, present or future, which are a nightmare to track down.

intercome worked pilot to copilot but no copilot to pilot.

Fred,

I always used the A210 with an external intercom so I can't say for sure but there is a setting in the operation manual on page 20 for the intercom function.

The install manual also shows an intercom enable jumper from pin 8 to 10.

I am not sure if it takes both of these or just one to get the intercom to work. you may have to experiment.

Fred,

I always used the A210 with an external intercom so I can't say for sure but there is a setting in the operation manual on page 20 for the intercom function.

The install manual also shows an intercom enable jumper from pin 8 to 10.

I am not sure if it takes both of these or just one to get the intercom to work. you may have to experiment.

i jumped 10 to 8. perfect, crystal clear intercom!! better than my cessna!

Wiring

If you do a search, google, etc. for "aircraft headset jack installation" you will find a video on wiring jacks.
Do a search for solder sleeves, you will find a variety of information on grounding of the shield. Aero electric has some detailed info on this.

FINALLY! i have a radio installed and wired and WORKING.
thanks to all above for your help!!!!
windshield next then final assy and fly.
fred

I found that the pushbutton between pins 8 and 10 allows you to toggle ON/OFF the intercom. You can do the same thing by holding down the "DUAL" button for 2 seconds. I left pin 10 open.

Back