What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many blind rivets?

TankerPilot

I'm New Here
Anyone know approximately how many blind rivets are in the RV-14?
Is it worth buying a power riveter? I've read the Milwaukee battery powered riveter is great. But it is pricey.
Anybody used a battery powered riveter?

Just getting my tools. Got my empennage kit.

Ray

Just my personal opinion....yes, it's worth it. There's a whole bunch in the floor behind the seats and in the baggage compartment. While I used both hand type and pneumatic, I had a lot more control with the pneumatic in sensitive areas.

Just my personal opinion....yes, it's worth it. There's a whole bunch in the floor behind the seats and in the baggage compartment. While I used both hand type and pneumatic, I had a lot more control with the pneumatic in sensitive areas.
I'll say the opposite. I had a pneumatic one. Used it a bit. It broke and I won't replace it. What I find super useful is the actual name-brand "pop" rivet tool, that works in every nook and cranny. If you do a hundred it is a little tiring, but it works everywhere. That and an actual "cherry" rivet hand puller and it's all you need.

It's expensive but works in 100% of everywhere with no difficulty at all.

Is it worth buying a power riveter?
For me it's worth it. I have more control with a pneumatic riveter as opposed to a hand operated tool plus it's faster when doing a bunch of rivets like the floors. Having said that, I use both as there are times the pneumatic riveter won't fit in the space I'm in. The swiveling head on my manual riveter comes in really handy in these situations.

In the grand scheme of things, a pneumatic riveter or even the Milwaukie battery powered model you're looking at is chump change compared to what you'll spend on other tools. I've spent $11,512 on aviation specific tools to date. I suspect I'll spend a couple grand more before I'm done. One of the things that has been reinforced as a first time builder is you MUST have the right tool for the job. I've bought a few tools that I've only used for a handful of rivets but without the right tool, you can make a mess of rivets really quick.

I am building an RV-12 and love the electric riveter. I also have an antique PRP-26A, look for them on eBay, if you have the time.

If I could only have one, it would have to be the PRP-26A, there are some rivets that only it can reach.

I bought the Milwaukee riveter and a drill kit for the batteries. The drills are light and high speed.

For the RV-12 it means I avoided investing in air tools.

Back