What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT autopilot gain sanity check (8A)

skirting_virga

Patron
I had a long XC flight yesterday to fiddle with the autopilot. The builder had roll gain set near the default, 100%, which I found was ok in smooth air but exacerbated even the smallest amount of turbulence.

Starting with the servo response test, I had to work roll gain down to 7%, and roll gain damping very high (600-1100%) to get the system to behave. The result seems to be that it is able to intercept and track a course in even bumpy afternoon thermals. It could be a little more proactive, but it's honestly pretty good compared to before.

Does this make any sense? I know the 8 is lively in roll but I wasn't expecting to have to turn it down so low. Does anyone have GRT gain settings from a 7 or 8 to share?

Pitch is acceptable for now with lowish settings and I'm not motivated to further optimize it yet.

GRT equipment in RV-8. My roll gain is set at 84% and damping at 100%. What I have found to be more influential, is the XTK gain. My AP roll performance was satisfactory in all modes, except LNAV. When tracking an LNAV track, especially on an approach, the roll (course) correction was continuous large amplitude corrections, near 25 deg bank angle corrections all the way down final. I don't recall exactly what the XTK gain is set now, but it is pretty low. It is not 7% kinda low, but I believe down in the low 80/high 70 range.

There are a few other super smart GRT guys on here that will likely add more color and accuracy for you.

I'll add this little bit of experience too, although probably not related based on your low gain settings ... but, I had a pax who fell asleep on a long xctry. I believe that during a course change, his leg had fallen against the stick keeping lateral pressure on it. The roll servo was trying to program in the turn, and torque built up enough to shear the screw. I never got a TRIM alert that I recall on that event. But the roll response then acted unsatisfactorily, and after some troubleshooting, I found the shear screw sheared. Replaced and all was well.

I don't recall my numbers but they are not far off the recommendations from GRT for RVs - I know the main guy there has a RV-6.

One thing I have seen is that the "180 degree get out of weather emergency button" didn't behave like I expected, and I'd suggest that you test this in good weather with a safety pilot before relying on this feature in an inadvertent VFR into IMC scenario.

The recommendation from GRT - which I have not yet tested - is:

"You can limit the bank angle for all autopilot operations in A/P Maintenance. As for the loss of altitude, the EFIS will use the normal altitude hold response to react to an altitude change caused by a turn. You could try increasing the Altitude Hold gain in General Setup. If it's 100%, try something like 150% or 200% to see what the effect is."

The roll servo was trying to program in the turn, and torque built up enough to shear the screw. I never got a TRIM alert that I recall on that event. But the roll response then acted unsatisfactorily, and after some troubleshooting, I found the shear screw sheared. Replaced and all was well.
This is insightful - no idea if it applies to my situation but it raises the idea that I should inspect the servo.

I will note that in the servo response test, the external control loop isn't involved. I did tweak xtk and heading gains a little but most of my time was spent with the roll gain and damping.

My bank angle limit is 20 degrees at the moment

Does anyone else have any insight as to why my plane seems to require 7% roll gain and high roll gain damping to eliminate roll oscillations (even in servo response test mode)? Something must be off...

Been behind GRT AP for 800 hours in 6 yrs. All my settings are 100 or 200. I hand fly in really rough air as I don’t want to shear the pin grabbing stick in a tense moment. Flew today, pretty calm air, AP via heading and enav rock solid. Form up a question with data/settings and submit to [email protected] they see it all. I fly 6a…different but I got no settings like yours.

Back