What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS-430 Install Without an Audio Panel

bruceg

This is a single radio installation with no other audio sources. In this case, should Comm and Nav audio output Highs be tied together and Lows be tied together at the headphone jack? Or should the Comm and Nav audio outputs be isolated from each other and selected with a switch?
Thanks!

You should use two 100 ohm resistors to tie them together. Tie one side of the resistors together and the other side to each output.

Something like this:

basicMixer.gif

If you just tie them together, you will get audio out but it will be degraded and distorted more than if you use a simple mixer. You also risk damage to the final outputs of the amp inside the radio.

Last edited:
If you choose to use a PS Engineering PM-3000 intercom, you can use one of its unswitched audio inputs to connect the NAV audio from the 430. That's what we did in my buddy's RV-8 and it works great, no need for an audio panel at all. We also used the 2nd unswitched audio input to connect the Dynon's audio alerts.

one minor issue

One minor drawback to this approach is that you won't be able to hear the alerts or the NAV if you have the intercom in "isolate" mode. I have my Dynon alerts wired in through the intercom (PM-1000) and I can't hear them if I switch the intercom to ISO. Sometimes that's a blessing (low oil pressure before start-up, intermittent high oil pressure after start-up, etc)

If you choose to use a PS Engineering PM-3000 intercom, you can use one of its unswitched audio inputs to connect the NAV audio from the 430. That's what we did in my buddy's RV-8 and it works great, no need for an audio panel at all. We also used the 2nd unswitched audio input to connect the Dynon's audio alerts.

Back