What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDU 465 connected to aera 660

jliltd

Well Known Member
I have looked for an answer to this without much luck. I have a hangar mate with a GDU 465 (10" display w/built-in SXM) and a GTX 45R remote transponder with ADS-B in/out. Is there a way to control the SXM on the 465 from the aera?

I ask this because in my RV-8 I have the GDU 460 paired with a GDL 52 external SXM/ADS-B in device. The back seat has an aera 660 hard wired to the second RS232 channel of the GDL 52 so the better half in the back seat can control the SXM music while still getting traffic and weather. It works great.

We are interested in having similar capability for his back seat aera 660 with his GDU 465 and GTX 45R so the aera can get all traffic and weather in along with SXM. Don't want his back seater to think they don't rate as high as mine. Would I Bluetooth his aera 660 to the GTX 45R for TIS-B and FIS-B and then hard wire one of the serial ports of the aera RS232 in/out to the GDU 465 for SXM music control and XM weather? Or maybe hardwire each of the aera's two serial channels, one to the GDU 465 and one to the GTX 45R? If so would each channel be set to Connext 57600 baud? Or is this even possible? It's a lot more going on that when using a single GDL 52(r).

Thanks

Back