What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

edge clearance

prkaye

Well Known Member
Does anybody remember doing their rudder skeleton on the RV-9? The first thing to be done is to drill a hole in the rib to 3/8" using the unibit extender (to match the corresponding hole int he spar). I did this, but when I look at the rib, the hole comes suprisingly close to the edge of the rib flange... the clearance looks like maybe 1/16 inch. This rib is sandwhiched between other parts with a similar hole (a bolt or rod end bearing or something goes through here), and so I don't htink the rib takes any of the load... but did this cause anyone else concern?

I had the same result with the 9-style rudder on my 7 a few weeks ago. It was mildly concerning, but the hole in the rib flange lines up with the holes in the other pieces, so I don't see any other way for it to be. With it being sandwiched between all of that other stuff and right next to the little spacer piece, I doubt it's gonna be an issue.

Back