What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 oil temp

riobison

Well Known Member
I have a D180 hooked up to my 0320 in my 9A

The oil temperature in flight bounces around 5 +-degrees ands its annoying to watch.

Ive checked the single wire connection and cleaned with no changes.

Im thinking of changing out the oil temperature sensor and the prices are all over the map.

Are they all interchangeable or is there a specific one that I will need for it to operate properly?

Thanks

Tim

You say you've checked out the one wire from the sensor. Well there's another important "wire " from the sensor. It is the invisible ground wire. Take a look at how your sensor is attached to the engine ground. It may just need cleaning under the clamp that fixes it to the engine mount. My fuel pressure sensor has this same problem from time to time.

You say you've checked out the one wire from the sensor. Well there's another important "wire " from the sensor. It is the invisible ground wire. Take a look at how your sensor is attached to the engine ground. It may just need cleaning under the clamp that fixes it to the engine mount. My fuel pressure sensor has this same problem from time to time.
The ground is where it screws into the back. Of course that has thread sealant in there. So are you suggesting attaching a ground via a hose clamp and grounded elsewhere?

I switched to the 2 wire GRT temp sensor listed in the D180 documentation after chasing similar problems repeatedly, including after using a hose clamp and separate ground. Rock solid now and just as good does not have tendency to leak around crush washer like original Dyson versions did.

The ground is where it screws into the back. Of course that has thread sealant in there. So are you suggesting attaching a ground via a hose clamp and grounded elsewhere?
Sounds like your set up is relying on the threaded oil line to provide the ground connection. Most cases that may work well. However as you mentioned sealant could be the issue. As mention above the two wire transducer might perform better in your application. I would clamp a ground wire to your sensor metal case and ground it to your airframe somewhere there close and see if that makes any difference. We are measuring a very small resistance in the transducer and any poor grounding connection will cause the variation in reading you are trying to address. If that provides you the same results then replace the sensor.

The ground is where it screws into the back. Of course that has thread sealant in there. So are you suggesting attaching a ground via a hose clamp and ground it elsewhere?
Sounds like your set up is relying on the threaded oil line to provide the ground connection. Most cases that may work well. However as you mentioned sealant could be the issue. As mention above the two wire transducer might perform better in your application. I would clamp a ground wire to your sensor metal case and ground it to your airframe somewhere there close and see if that makes any difference. We are measuring a very small resistance in the transducer and any poor grounding connection will cause the variation in reading you are trying to address. If that provides you the same results then replace the sensor.
So that is why we have evolved into the 2 wire systems? So no reason why I can't just buy a 2 wire sensor and of course just ground the black wire? I'm thinking for most any of the single wire sensors that appear to be a little intermittent that this could very well be poor grounding? How many of the pilots on this forum can confirm this?

Thanks
Tim

The ground is where it screws into the back. Of course that has thread sealant in there. So are you suggesting attaching a ground via a hose clamp and ground it elsewhere?

So that is why we have evolved into the 2 wire systems? So no reason why I can't just buy a 2 wire sensor and of course just ground the black wire? I'm thinking for most any of the single wire sensors that appear to be a little intermittent that this could very well be poor grounding? How many of the pilots on this forum can confirm this?

Thanks
Tim
That has been my experience with transducers that read resistance and have a very small tolerance for anything but a perfect ground connection. Ive got a drawer full of oil pressure and fuel pressure transducers that are labeled " works but eradic reading" . The two wire seem to work better / longer for me. Thats not to say all the problem is at the sensor grounding, crip on connectors on either wire are my second place to look for poor connection on any resistance reading circuit.

Back