What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks Landing Light Bay Painting

jsherblon

Well Known Member
Anyone have suggestions, ideas, or "don't do this" for painting the interior of the landing light bays?

I painted the inside of the skin with high-temperature white paint, and the mounting brackets with high-temp gray. I used Duplicolor brand from AutoZone. The lights are so bright by themselves, it's hard to tell if the white-painted bay will add to the light output, but at least it looks good, IMHO.

Here's a picture showing how far back I painted the bay:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...44&project=255&category=2156&log=23760&row=15

I didn't encounter any issues with the painting process, and the Duckworks kit is really slick.

Have fun with it.

Buck Wyndham
RV-8 N18XL (reserved)
Hanging the flaps...

I painted just the ribs...left the inner skin and mounting face shiny alclad.

I used the chrome finish stuff from Aircraft Depot (good to 200 degrees), but wish I would have just used "primer grey". No biggie, once it's all together, you really have to want to see the ribs to get a look at them through the lense

Good luck--

Joe

My advice: Don't paint it. Its a waste of time since you can't see in there anyway 99% of the time. Spend your time on something else.

If you want to paint the bays, fine, but it is not necessary. The reflector is built in.

Back