What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm: Dynon vs Garmin

jnmeade

Well Known Member
I am redoing a panel. I fly light sport and have decided I do not want a nav radio, but I do want two comm radios, not just a comm with monitor function.

I am putting in two 10" SkyViews. I have a KY97A which I do not like and am going to take out. I bought a used Garmin SL40. I've used and like the SL30 so suppose the 40 will suit me fine.

I was going to put in a PAR100 and the SL40, but the new Dynon radio has some attractive features. I am not worried about the audio panel anyway, as I have some other plans in mind for that. I realize the Dynon is not out yet.

Should I keep the Garmin and buy one Dynon or should I sell the Garmin and buy two Dynons?

Keep the Garmins...they have a well known track record, which Dynon does not, yet. I have a 430W and an SL-30...wonderful clarity and range.

Best,

Keep the Garmins...they have a well known track record, which Dynon does not, yet.

I disagree. Dynon has been delivering and supporting products for at least 10 years now and I've experienced and heard nothing but complimentary tales of their customer service.

I can be specific here but I'm not looking to start a flame war -- just want to point out that Dynon is a legitimate competitor.

Agreed Joe, but he was asking about their 'yet-to-debut' radios, not the other products, of which I also own.

Best,

Like everyone else, I have not seen Dynon's new radios yet. Considering the number of years they were "in development" I would hope they are all they claim to be when they do arrive. I have to say I like the dedicated buttons, though with today's Efis pushing frequencies they may be somewhat redundant. Still, a very good idea I think, one of those things you ask yourself...why doesn't every radio have that? Good thinking Dynon.

The question of course is do you give up a certified bird in hand for an experimental bird in the bush? A tough call I guess. I have Dynon, Garmin and PSE in my panel and having run and crimped every wire and assembled every connector....I can say there is a definite and undeniable step up in quality with the Garmin connectors, trays and sensors. It isn't even close.

Having been in R&D electronics in the auto industry I have more than my share of experience with design and life testing. A piece built for lifetime service is easily distinguished over one built for long enough. In the airplane world we call the former "certified" and the latter "experimental". For me, that translates to IFR and VFR missions.

In Dynon/Garmin radio decision there are many variables and any of which can help you decide. But there is one certainty. With Garmin, you know exactly what you are getting...there are no surprises coming, no promises awaiting delivery. If your mission is VFR, decide based on features, aesthetics and price point. If its IFR....go certified. That's my two coppers, worth far less than that in today's dollars.

Last edited:
The question of course is do you give up a certified bird in hand for an experimental bird in the bush? A tough call I guess. I have Dynon, Garmin and PSE in my panel and having run and crimped every wire and assembled every connector....I can say there is a definite and undeniable step up in quality with the Garmin connectors, trays and sensors. It isn't even close.

Hi Bill, great comments in your thread and you are spot on the quality thing. I just felt compelled to say that our audio panel tray and crimp connectors are of the same quality as GARMIN.

If we ever loose our focus on innovation and quality, the GARMIN will also own the audio panel business. And that would put me out of a job. I love my job so I will continue to do what we have been for the last 28 years.

Thanks for using our stuff Bill, 95% of our business is word of mouth.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Welcome to VAF!

Jim, welcome to the good ship VAF.

------I do want two comm radios-------

I am putting in two 10" SkyViews. I I bought a used Garmin SL40. I've used and like the SL30 so suppose the 40 will suit me fine.

I was going to put in a PAR100 and the SL40, but the new Dynon radio has some attractive features.

Should I keep the Garmin and buy one Dynon or should I sell the Garmin and buy two Dynons?

OK, since you asked for opinions/suggestions here goes.

I would go with the Dynon radio as my main, and the SL 40 as a back up.

The Dynon radio and EFIS are designed to play well together, and you will be able to utilize some of the neat features only if using them together. From everything I have read, this is going to be a sweet setup.

The SL 40 is rock solid, and has a long history of reliability, just what you want for a back up.

Again, welcome to VAF, good to have you aboard.

Just a question because I have no idea and I am curious...Is Dynon actually building this radio themselves or is it a collaborative effort with some other radio manufacturer?

Hi Bill, great comments in your thread and you are spot on the quality thing. I just felt compelled to say that our audio panel tray and crimp connectors are of the same quality as GARMIN.

If we ever loose our focus on innovation and quality, the GARMIN will also own the audio panel business. And that would put me out of a job. I love my job so I will continue to do what we have been for the last 28 years.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

When shopping for an audio panel, I looked & read everything about Garmin & PS Engineering, and others. I also purchased a rather expensive model. Owned a Garmin SL-40, a great radio. Friends love theirs too! Have owned five Garmin aviation GPS's, and don't care for other brands.

But the PS Engineering panel (8000B) won my audio panel contest. It's a very well made piece of equipment, and is flawless.

Jim,

I am curious why you do not want a nav?
Many airports around here in MN have the AWOS on the nav frequencies.
Although I can get it on the G3X, there is a significant delay before it is reported to the G3X.

Jake

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

I certainly wasn't intending to offend and perhaps by saying connectors I am using the wrong word, maybe should have said backshell. I have only installed a GTN650 and the PAR100ex so can't comment on the SL40's connectors and should have said that. Comparing those Garmin connectors to the stamped metal, sharp corners of the PAR100...the Garmins really are quite a bit better. Garmin's open top are easier to deal with and have much better strain relief methods in my mind. Garmin's way of handling backshell grounds with a half dozen screw points is also better in my eyes than the PAR's two tabs. I was only commenting on the trays and connectors, not the electronics within and I still think the PAR is a great way to incorporate a radio and an audio panel into one slot.

I'm certainly not complaining about the PAR100. It's installed, worked well in the smoke test and I'm content with my purchase. As an experimental unit though, I feel that its not having the ability to accept frequencies from an EFIS is a real let down, though may not be possible

Last edited:
Power...(?)

Don't forget to check the power. It looks like the Dynon is 6 watts transmit power and the SL40 is 8 watts. Not sure if that is a big enough difference to matter, but I know my husband's RV-6 has an SL30 and another brand of comm in an audio panel and there is a difference in capabilities...

The SL40 is a fine com (I own an SL30). But, it has just been orphaned. And, remember this was never a Garmin design, it was aquired from Apollo. So one thing to factor into the decision is, How long will Garmin support repairs? In its announcement of new radios Garmin itself said the SL40 was an old design, and parts were getting hard to find.

My two cents? It's just a com. Go with the least expensive.

I'm certainly not complaining about the PAR100. It's installed, worked well in the smoke test and I'm content with my purchase. As an experimental unit though, I feel that its not having the ability to accept frequencies from an EFIS is a real let down, though may not be possible

Thanks Bill for the kind words and absolutely no offense taken. And I actually agree with you that the GARMIN backplate is a beautiful aluminum cast piece and ours pales to compare. In fact, if all goes according to plans, we will be will be changing out to our very own cast aluminum back plate maybe by Oshkosh.

It will be an improvement to the mechanical back end (there are no electrical issues with our current back plate) and certainly will appear more professional.

But the connectors and shells are equivalent to the GMA340 ones.

I guess it is a good sign that we are paying attention to back plates and not on design shirt comings!

Thanks Bill for trusting us with your audio panel and radio, I will make sure you are happy!

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Back