What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cherry Max rivet on a Quickbuilt RV8?

Carlosanlley

Friend
Hi Guys:

Just out of curiosity, how many cherry max rivets are to be placed in a quickbuilt fuse/wing RV8? I don't recall installing any and I'm about to finish my built.... 😰

I had to use the Cherry Max rivets to rivet the upper landing gear towers where they meet the upper longerons. The reason was I could not reach inside the gear towers to buck using the traditional rivets. So the only option was to use the Cherry Max rivets.
Some local builders also used the Cherry Max to rivet the wing ribs to the spar

Hi Guys:

Just out of curiosity, how many cherry max rivets are to be placed in a quickbuilt fuse/wing RV8? I don't recall installing any and I'm about to finish my built.... 😰
There are no cherry max rivets called out on the RV8 build but they are handy in certain areas. Forward wing ribs to the spar, fuselage around the wing spar area and on the cockpit rails where the roll bar is riveted.

On RV8 quick build wings the flap brace attachment to the spar is done with CherryMax because you can’t get behind the spar to buck most of them. Say 20 per side.

Hi guys:

Thanks for the quick response.

I had to use the Cherry Max rivets to rivet the upper landing gear towers where they meet the upper longerons. The reason was I could not reach inside the gear towers to buck using the traditional rivets. So the only option was to use the Cherry Max rivets.
Some local builders also used the Cherry Max to rivet the wing ribs to the spar
When you mention riveting upper landing gear towers to longerons, does include the riveting of the top skin? since I got a quickbuilt fuselage, my landing gear towers came almost fully rivetted; the only missing rivets is to close the fwd top skin but I'm not completely sure that this meets the landing gear towers or only the upper longerons.

On RV8 quick build wings the flap brace attachment to the spar is done with CherryMax because you can’t get behind the spar to buck most of them. Say 20 per side.
I did this with pull rivets that in the plans are called CS-4 I think. I understand that the cherry max rivets are a stronger type of pull rivets, am I right? should I consider replacing the CS-4 with cherry max for the flap brace?

Hi guys:

Thanks for the quick response.

When you mention riveting upper landing gear towers to longerons, does include the riveting of the top skin? since I got a quickbuilt fuselage, my landing gear towers came almost fully rivetted; the only missing rivets is to close the fwd top skin but I'm not completely sure that this meets the landing gear towers or only the upper longerons.
These are the areas that I used the Cherry Max rivets, on both sides. At the gear towers, the original drill holes were for the -3 rivets. Cherry Max is -4 size. So you have to re-drill and countersink the holes. The forward firewall connections were already drilled for -4 rivet

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 15
The quick build plans addendum shipped in 2021called out CherryMax and provided the rivets.
Noted, I will definitely take closer look at it.

These are the areas that I used the Cherry Max rivets, on both sides. At the gear towers, the original drill holes were for the -3 rivets. Cherry Max is -4 size. So you have to re-drill and countersink the holes. The forward firewall connections were already drilled for -4 rivet
Also noted, I haven't reached this phase of the built but will keep it in mind.

Thanks Guys!

Back