What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio Jack Wiring Verification

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am installing a music input to my panel and the jack schematic is below. If I am reading this correctly, I would connect my wire shield to pin #1, left channel conductor to #5 and right to #2. Do I need to worry about the ground circuit for pin 3& 4? I'm not using the "switching" capability of the jack so I'm not overly concerned about wiring it up for that.

Capture2.png

Mark,

The type jack you have is called a "make before break" type. In other words, if you have a panel stereo/CD player, for example, when you plug in your music source to the jack (could be an iPod), it would "break" the circuit to your panel stereo. See the schematic below for an example. In your case, it sounds like you would just not use pins 3 and 4 unless you had a panel stereo. The make-before-break jack allows you to have two music sources and connecting one to the jack would temporarily disconnect the other source. Hope this helps!

scan0019.jpg

Two comments.
1. I think you have left and right reversed, see the above post. Usually the tip is left.
2. For best noise suppression, do not connect the shield to anything at the jack. Use a 3 conductor plus shield cable, and connect the third wire to your pin 1, and to "low" or ground back at your intercom or audio panel. The jack needs to be isolated from the airframe ground by fiber washers. CoNnect the shield to ground at the audio panel end only.

Back