What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone use Satellite Texting with iOS 18?

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Most know the Starlink drama...I ended up returning my Mini because Tmobile is launching satellite service.

T-Mobile service hasn't officially begun but iOS 18 supports iMessage over satellite now. I haven't been flying in a couple days but just updated my phone to iOS 18. I've tested satlitte reception from my driveway using the built in demo, but unless your phone can't receive service, there's no way to text.

Anyone try it yet?

I am interested in this as well. I expect to pick up my iphone 16 on Tuesday and the satellite message is the reason Im getting the phone. Im planning a trip out west from Michigan and want to be able to message. Maybe I am better getting a garmin inreach or something like that. I dont know if the iphone will do what I want - the guy at the verizon store didnt either. Ugg. Maybe I need a Tmobil phone?

From what I understand...the Apple service works on any iPhone 14 or above (that has SOS) and is free for the first 2 years. The T-Mobile service rolling out soon for any LTE or greater phone with Tmobile, as it's using normal mobile phone frequencies.

Reading on beechtalk forum about the new iOS feature....

Satellite texting works well. Current limitations that I found:

1) Can only send to (or receive from) people who have upgraded to iOS 18
2) Doesn't support group texts
3) Can only send plain text; no GIFs, emojis, pictures, etc.
4) Requires from in-flight orienting of the phone to get a satellite connection.

From what I understand...the Apple service works on any iPhone 14 or above (that has SOS) and is free for the first 2 years. The T-Mobile service rolling out soon for any LTE or greater phone with Tmobile, as it's using normal mobile phone frequencies.

Reading on beechtalk forum....
But to clarify, the Apple service is ONLY for emergency messages, it cannot be used for regular text messaging. It will just connect you to emergency services.

But to clarify, the Apple service is ONLY for emergency messages, it cannot be used for regular text messaging. It will just connect you to emergency services.
No, this is a recent change for US based users, see here- normal texting via satellite.

Back