What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative regulator?

Reilly

Hi Guys

My PMR1C-14 regulator rectifier is no longer working. It's on a B&C SD-8 pm alternator.

Are there any alternatives other than a replacement from B&C which is quite pricey?

It's on an O360 and 14 v.

Would the John Deere regulator that many have used to replace the Ducati regulator on a Rotax 912 work?

I have a desperate OV crowbar fitted after the VR.

Thanks

I had a regulator fail on mine, coincidently, at a fuel stop where Chief Aircraft is located. They had a generic regulator in stock and it has been working fine for years….
Installed it on the field and was on my way.

The regulator that has been used since the 90's by many RVs with the externally regulated ND that used to be sold by Vans is the generic VR166 found on many USA vehicles including mid-70's Ford cars and trucks. I've used one on my RV-6 since 1999. I don't have experience with it on the small SD-8 but if a generic reg will work the VR166 (and its clones) should be an option.

Careful guys…the SD8 is a permanent magnet device, as noted by the OP. There is no field coil to energize or control. The regulator is not the usual device used with alternators with field coils.
Yes it's a pm device. The Rotax is also a generator so I think the John Deere one which works on the Rotax could be an option.

That was the reason for my cautionary note about using a traditional regulator with the SD-8. I've had an SD-8 on one of my planes but never used it with a conventional regulator. Some homework would be in order.

Back