drmax

Well Known Member
I'm either dropping 600 on a sierra, or anothor 140 on a zulu (on sale now at sportys for 740.....EEKS...either one is butt load of money, but I gotta have it quiet....and comfortable. Please, anyone with 1st hand experience in either, or have already done the proving, please reply. If the thread is already here, show me the way. I've searched and didn't really come up with nothing like I'm after. Thank you, DM

Zulu.

Your hearing is worth saving. Spend as much money as you can and get the best (most quiet) headset you can.

The question is more Zulu or Bose. I had a Bose and like the Zulu better. Both are excellent headsets.

I've tried both and think the Zulu is worth the extra money over the Sierra. It's quieter and just sounds better.

I have a Sierra headset and like it, but I've never tried a Zulu. Maybe David and I could swap for a flight test, since he's just down the road from me.;) It was never clear to me what you really get for the extra money with the Zulu, other than 3 fewer ounces. I think it is supposed to be better fidelity, but as I said, I have never tried one.

Another Zulu vote. Great headset and the bluetooth for music is nice feature as well.

I have one of each. In my mind the differences are subtle.
The zulu is slightly lighter, with a thin metal band instead of plastic in the adjustment part.
The Zulu has bluetooth built in for cell phone and/or music. Sierra takes a 1/8 " plug for music. I don't recall if the Sierra will interface to a cell phone.
Given a choice I take the Zulu, it feels slightly more comfortable to me and I think the audio may be slightly clearer, not sure on this. When flying with my wife I give it to her, she's more sensitive to weight than I am (She hates Dave Clark's due to the weight).
The Sierra is good enough that I'm not going to go out and dump it for a second Zulu, but, if I were starting over, I'd go the extra $140 (at the time I bought it was more like an extra $300) for a Zulu.

PS to LightSpeed: As a CFI I move my headset from plane to plane. My RV is wired for stereo, a lot of the other planes I fly in are mono. Changing the little switch from stereo to mono is such a pain that I bought a mono to stereo adaptor which I take with me when in another plane. It would be nice if there was an external switch which was easy to use, would save me from digging thru my flight bag looking for the adaptor plug.

zulu.2 ?

Is there a newer version of this headset? I've found it a one place for 740, and it just states Zulu. Most other places are 800....:eek:
Lightspeed website states Zulu.2

ok, i'm thinking i better get my ducks in a row here. there are different models of this. one for 740 is an original model. good grief nothing can be easy...

Yes you're right. To clarify my post, I have the newer Zulu 2. No experience with the older version.

So if $200 - $300 extra I think it's a close call, depending on your personal tolerance to weight (as I said, my wife is intolerant so I got her the Zulu 2).

If you need Bluetooth then it's the Zulu 2.

BTW, either of these Lightspeeds is far and away superior to my DC 10-40's (with Oregon Aero seals and headband).

Yep,

Both of mine are the original Zulu's and they work way better than the Sierras. 110% happy with them!

Yep,

Both of mine are the original Zulu's and they work way better than the Sierras. 110% happy with them!
ok gotta figure what/if there is the difference then decide. i recon only lightspeed will know...uh unless someone else does?:confused:

It's as if the .2's have these newer features...over the older ones? Tell me if this looks accurate to you in the description area, if you have time. I do thank you...http://www.banyanpilotshop.net/10Ex...htspeed_zulu&gclid=CJjTu8P8g7ICFYhFMgodm38AGQ
from another add....
2-12 dB Improved Active Noise Reduction (ANR) vs. Original Zulu
15-20% Less Side Pressure vs. Original Zulu
Distinctive new look
I suppose those 2 things could be worth $60. I'll just go the .2's. Thx and goodnite....

fit?

Ok, I still have not upgraded my older, extremely uncomfortable headsets but after my long 400 mile x-country yesterday, dodging deadly storms...having to try to hear my iFly sounds (adsb traffic and other alerts) over eng/air vent noise, I'm going to pull the trigger this week, on either a bose a20, zulu 2 or sierra. My only concern...is my ole noggin is fairly large. Will the zulu still fit comfortably after 4 hours, or should I consider the Sierra, which I thought was for larger skulls? $300-$400 is a large chunk I could save, if the Sierra is all I need.
Found this review just now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF8FTyltEdY
Thx again, DM

Last edited:
Before you drop huge dollars on an ANR headset, make sure you try an "in the ear" style headset. Most economical of the bunch is the Clarity Aloft Halo headset. They beat all of the earmuff-style headsets from a comfort perspective (and by a huge margin). They also at least equal the noise reduction of ANR headsets, but without electronics which can fail mid-flight. Most of the ANR headsets have very poor passive noise attenuation so when the ANR goes off-line, your hearing is not being protected, and you can't hear the radios!

I was a die-hard David Clark fan for many years but my Halo's have definitely changed that situation. Yes, they are comfortable enough that I tried to exit the cockpit with the headset still on my head! I've recently been testing them side-by-side against a Bose X acquired for my wife and the noise attenuation is at least on-par with the Bose, and in my opinion it's actually better than the Bose. Finding the earplug which fits your ear best is the key to maximizing noise reduction - once you've found the right earplug you'll never willingly go back to an earmuff-style headset.

Last edited:
Passed my six year old Bose X's to the passenger seat this spring and bought Zulu 2's 'nearly new' for $700 on another forum. No real complaints for the Bose except lack of cell phone. Very happy with the Zulu 2's, love the Bluetooth interface for both cell and music. I even use them for the weekly 1.5 hour lawn mowing. I have done several seven hour days in the plane with them and comfort the last hour equalled hour one. Had I not found the used deal, I was going to do a trade up deal with the factory for about the same price using a broken pair of DC's from the lost and found box at the airport.

I've tried both and think the Zulu is worth the extra money over the Sierra. It's quieter and just sounds better.

My original 20XL recently needed repair, and Lightspeed did not stock parts anymore. They asked if I'd consider an upgrade and not wanting to 'throw away' $250, I sent them a check for $360 for a new Sierra.

I'm with Neal: Both are a comfortable fit, however, my Zulu is quieter and just sounds better :) Rosie

Last edited:
Before you drop huge dollars on an ANR headset, make sure you try an "in the ear" style headset. Most economical of the bunch is the Clarity Aloft Halo headset. They beat all of the earmuff-style headsets from a comfort perspective (and by a huge margin). They also at least equal the noise reduction of ANR headsets, but without electronics which can fail mid-flight. Most of the ANR headsets have very poor passive noise attenuation so when the ANR goes off-line, your hearing is not being protected, and you can't hear the radios!

I was a die-hard David Clark fan for many years but my Halo's have definitely changed that situation. Yes, they are comfortable enough that I tried to exit the cockpit with the headset still on my head! I've recently been testing them side-by-side against a Bose X acquired for my wife and the noise attenuation is at least on-par with the Bose, and in my opinion it's actually better than the Bose. Finding the earplug which fits your ear best is the key to maximizing noise reduction - once you've found the right earplug you'll never willingly go back to an earmuff-style headset.
not my style. tried the Halo's awhile back and stunk. quality anr's shouldn't break

My original 20XL recently needed repair, and Lightspeed did not stock parts anymore. They asked if I'd consider an upgrade and not wanting to 'throw away' $250, I sent them a check for $360 for a new Sierra.

I'm with Neal: Both are a comfortable fit, however, my Zulu is quieter and just sounds better :) Rosie
You stating you own both pair...and the Zulu's are quieter? How about comfort? Thank you for your reponse. DM

Last edited by a moderator:
not my style. tried the Halo's awhile back and stunk. quality anr's shouldn't break

I can vouch that he has tried 'em. Loaned him a set a couple months ago, and while I love Halo's, it is obvious they aren't for everyone. That is probably how we all should look at such purchases--try them and see how they work for you. I like the Halo also because I can wear a hat with them. To each his own...

Bob

You might want to consider the "uflymike" with a Bose QC15 headset. I've been using this combination for over 250 hours of flying, and they are the most comfortable headset I own.

Disclaimer: most of that time has been in quieter aircraft than the RV, but my buddy with an RV7 borrowed them and then bought two for himself.

I haven't used them myself in the RV, but they are my (and everyone else's) favorite in the Cirrus and TBM

zulu 2

Spoke with Andy at Lightspeed. I have an old set of H10-30's and my current PilotUsa set, both passive they'll give me $300 for trade in (DC's $200, other $100) so now it looks a little better. Will let you know what I do.
Thx, DM