Rupester

Well Known Member
The mic on my Zulu 2 seems to have insufficient sensitivity - kind of. It misses the first 2 to four words I say when talking to the right seat passenger, but works just fine whenever the PTT button is pushed. The right side mic, also a Zulu 2 (with the same dipswitch settings), does not have the hesitation in intercom mode. Any ideas how to correct?

First, swap headsets and see if the problem moves to copilot side or stays with the pilot side. If it stays on the pilot side it's not the headset, it's the intercom.
What kind of intercom are you using? Have you played with the squelch?

Not sure about the Zulu 2 but the original Zulu's have a sensitivity pot adjustment on the mic boom close to the mic element (opposite side you speak into). I have 2 original Zulu's and had to fiddle with the adjustment to get the two sets to have the same mic volume. The second set was purchased about two years after the first and the second set sound quality is quite different than the original Zulu set. I also have to run the newer set with the volume slides at about half range to match the original set that I run at full range. The newer set also has less bass response and sound a bit tinny compared to the original set. I listen to MP3 music just about all the time when flying and tend to notice these things.

Thanks ...

Thanks, Bob & Joe. I'll check all of the above and see what happens. The puzzlement to me is why there is no hesitation in PTT mode, but there is in intercom mode.