Aviator

Well Known Member
Can anyone who has installed Ziptips elite in their -10 advise me on the number and length of wiring they used in their wings to the tips.
Damien says it needs fifteen wires in each wing. Really. I am confused looking at the one diagram they have on their site.
Thanks. Pics would be great as well to see how you have done it.

It is a bunch. I ran the wires through a hole I drilled in the side of the plane, roughly opposite the bushings in the wings for the wires. The plans from Aveo tell you what you need, but it is 3 bigger wires for landing lights, taxi lights, and ground, and then 7 or 8 smaller wires for strobes, position, anti-collision, sync, and master/slave control on the sync. I ran the wires forward through the wall of the plane to the panel area on both sides, except the strobe sync wire, which I routed aft and then through the same area as the flap torque tube.

I installed an Aveo taillight, too. Not required, but a three light strobe looks cool. The sync wire was tied together for all three near the flap motor.

I have a bunch of photos and descriptions in my blog (link below) under the lighting sub-category.

I'm using slip-on connectors (I'm thinking about wrapping each with heat shrink tubing for extra security) in the wing root and at the wing tip to allow for wingtip and wing removal. I used sub-d connectors, with heat shrink, for the taillight.