fstringham7a

Well Known Member
After reading Zion Natl Park write up posts it dawned on me .......I bet there are a bunch of RVers that would love to have a flyin here in the desert SW......So here is my suggestion. Either next April or late Sept. or early Oct we have a group RVer flyin /hike/sight seeing/relaxing/RV talk/food/food/flying the area/.......etc....etc. oh I forgot to mention Mesquite/Las Vegas side trips for more food,site seeing, gambling......:eek:

Great airports (SGU/CDC/1L8/67L.....), wonderful accomadations, fun of every type in every direction!!!!!!!!The big ditch to the south, fantastic Zions/Bryces/Capital Reef to the east/Lake Powell/Sedona for a quick breakfast run.........on and on...and on!!!!!!!:D

If interested either email me directly, or here on the forum and if there is interest I will get the ball a rolling.

Finally if you are ever in the Saint George area please call as I love talking RV to great folks and especially love to see RV aircraft and the peolple that fly them.

Frank @ SGU RV7A Engine/FWF STUFF
435-632-6895 [email protected]

Ive been thinking that a few days camping and hiking in the Zion/Bryce NP area following the Copperstate air show (Phoenix) next month might be fun; the area is a target rich environment for scenic ATV trails too. The Grand Canyon is also a possibility.

Frank,

A few years back we hiked Zion (North Rim Trail and two days through hiking the Narrows), that park is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

Oh, there was that one morning that started at 36 and by 11 it was over 100 on the way to a high of 114. It was ok because it was a dry heat.

Then there was that time I took a **** on a rattler. That was interesting.

Did Zion 2 years ago on a road trip.

Flew into Las Vegas - i.e. I flew the A330 to my own holiday !

Next day motored up to Springdale - Desert Pearl, wondeful place.

2 days hiking, then onto Flagstaff to visit the Lowell Observatory.

Next day off to Sedona, rented a 177 and flew out to the Crater and back - very spectacular !

Onward to Phoenix and Copperstate.

Back to Las Vegas via Lake Havasu - Oh you Yanks are so gullible - it's a bridge, it's not THE bridge !

Check into the Bellagio, lake view of course.

Fly down to the canyon, stay over, Blazing Saddles bonfire sing song.

Champagne and sunrise - fly back to Vegas.

1 day retail etc etc.

Return to England in the comfy leather front seats.

That was some vacation, and Brownie points a plenty with her indoors :D

And don't forget Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border! :)

Excellent sightseeing, as shown in all those John Wayne movies; and now a fully paved runway (by reservation), should you want to stay or have lunch at the hotel.

And it's just a few minutes from Lake Powell, Rainbow Bridge, and Page Arizona ---- by RV.

L.Adamson

Thanks for reminding me as this is another great side trip from sgu!!!!!!

Excellent sightseeing, as shown in all those John Wayne movies; and now a fully paved runway (by reservation), should you want to stay or have lunch at the hotel.

And it's just a few minutes from Lake Powell, Rainbow Bridge, and Page Arizona ---- by RV.

L.Adamson

L.Adamson

Heres a link to our trip report from this springs flyout to Monument Valley. But only the last 750 ft was was paved then. I wonder if then paved it for the Red Bull Air races this summer?

http://www.eaa538.org/trips/mvalley/mvalley.htm

mono001.jpg

I wonder if then paved it for the Red Bull Air races this summer?

The deal with Red Bull, was to have Red Bull pay for paving the rest of the runway, and a new cell phone tower. At least that's the way I heard it.

L.Adamson

Already done it....:)

After reading Zion Natl Park write up posts it dawned on me .......I bet there are a bunch of RVers that would love to have a flyin here in the desert SW......So here is my suggestion. Either next April or late Sept. or early Oct we have a group RVer flyin /hike/sight seeing/relaxing/RV talk/food/food/flying the area/.......etc....etc. oh I forgot to mention Mesquite/Las Vegas side trips for more food,site seeing, gambling......:eek:

435-632-6895 [email protected]

But don't forget your approach plates when flying to SGU IFR Like I did...:)

It really is a beautiful place!

Frank

Zion's - I'm in!

Zion's has become one of my favorite places for hiking over the past 5 years. It has my favorite hikes and slot canyons than anywhere.

You can either fly into St. George or Hurricane. I'm not sure what cars you can rent in Hurricane though. The Desert Pearl is the place to stay. You can either stay by the pool or by the river. I prefer the river rooms but they do go first. For food, the Bit and Spur is always great after a good day of hiking.

Zion's has three of my favorite hikes, Subway, Behunin Canyon and Mystery Canyon. They all require permits but you can usually get one the day before. I would be more than willing to lead a group if anyone is interested. These are adventure hikes. Zion's also offers tons of great walking as well on very nice trails. But to really experience Zion's you need to be dangling on the end of a 200 ft. rope.

Angels Landing a fun hike that is not technical (my mother-in-law even did it).
Picture of the switchbacks on the way up to Angels Landing.
4726863-L.jpg

Subway Pictures
4573817-L.jpg

The heart of the Subway.
4587950-L.jpg

Some swimming required on some of the hikes.
4587373-L.jpg

On our way to Mystery Canyon
33080423-L-1.jpg

RaNae on her way down Mystery Falls into The Narrows (another world famous hike)
33082980-L.jpg

Great slot canyon in Mystery Canyon
33118361-L.jpg

more Zion's shots

Behunin Canyon
4728305-L.jpg

4732021-L.jpg

This photo was taken April 6th, the end of April or May should be warmer.
4728295-L.jpg

4769229-M.jpg

I hope a trip can be put together on this.

Sounds Great!

Count me in! I'm sure I won't be finished with my RV by then, but the wife and I would love to come down and rub elbows with a bunch of RV folks!

Scott and all you adventureous RVers.

Great Pix. These varifiy my humble opinion that this coming spring we need to have a RV fly in here in the Saint George area.

My RV7A will be done by then and I would be happy to do some pre planning now and preparations then for a group to fly in and enjoy the desert southwest.

Frank @ SGU.......PS I got an email a week ago that got erased before I had a chance to reply to the sender about flying in to Saint George. If this be you give me a jingle as I would be happy to pass along the info you requested.,