nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Strangely I can’t find any mention of whether I should fill the nosewheel with grease through the fitting anywhere in the manual.

Great thread and timely too! Here‘s a theoretical scenario…

Say you attach the grease gun to the Zerk and start pumping. As you squeeze the handle, you see grease start escaping from around the Zerk. You remove the Zerk then clean it and the fork and reinstall and it keeps doing it. So you try to snug up the Zerk and it appears that it’s close to stripping out of the fork. I’m guessing the Zerk is steel and the fork is aluminum.

Is this a case where the entire fork would need to be replaced? Or is it feasible to drill the fork oversize for a fitting and reinstall the Zerk into the fitting? Or an oversize Zerk (lol).

Great thread and timely too! Here‘s a theoretical scenario…

Say you attach the grease gun to the Zerk and start pumping. As you squeeze the handle, you see grease start escaping from around the Zerk. You remove the Zerk then clean it and the fork and reinstall and it keeps doing it. So you try to snug up the Zerk and it appears that it’s close to stripping out of the fork. I’m guessing the Zerk is steel and the fork is aluminum.

Is this a case where the entire fork would need to be replaced? Or is it feasible to drill the fork oversize for a fitting and reinstall the Zerk into the fitting? Or an oversize Zerk (lol).
Are you asking for a friend, or did you do this?
Before things got too far, I would have put thread sealer ( forma gasket #2) on the threads.

Here is a situation that the greased area has very little to do, and is checked every time you move the nosewheel as you direct the aircraft in and out of the hangar. The cavity of grease is useless and messy.

Just pull the cotter pin and drop the fork out and clean and grease just the shaft by wiping with boat trailer grease every 4 to 500 hours if your plane is kept inside.

During your annual you should be lifting the nose wheel to check for any play in the gear assembly..... so, just drop it and grease it.

Here is a situation that the greased area has very little to do, and is checked every time you move the nosewheel as you direct the aircraft in and out of the hangar. The cavity of grease is useless and messy.

Just pull the cotter pin and drop the fork out and clean and grease just the shaft by wiping with boat trailer grease every 4 to 500 hours if your plane is kept inside.

During your annual you should be lifting the nose wheel to check for any play in the gear assembly..... so, just drop it and grease it.
Thanks I think I’m going to do this! Plane is from 2008 so the front fork probably deserves to be cleaned out and re-greased.