330drvr

This has probably been discussed before but how effective is the Zaon XRX? Where has proven to be the best location in an RV-7A? I think I have room on the glareshield, but it is going to block my view somewhat. Kind of defeats the purpose perhaps. Any input appreciated.

pcas

My Dad, who used to fly, always worried about mid-airs.

So, he bought me the lesser version Zaon. Its very small.

I've only flown with it one time in a rental plane but I've had it on the bench
out in the shop "airplane watching".

I think it works pretty good - like another set of eyes watching out.

Of course, the PIC still needs to get his head out of the cockpit and look around - nothing is foolproof.

I'm glad I'll have it sitting on the glare shield...

Dave
-9A finish kit

I have an XRX that is coupled to my av8tor Ace via bluetooth. While the system is not foolproof, its advantages outweigh its shortcomings, IMHO.

I have my XRX mounted on the glare shield to the right and 6" away from the center support for my slider rollbar. No trouble with forward vision being obstructed, at least not for the pilot.

With the XRX coupled to the Ace, any traffic alert will cause the ace to go to a full screen display of the XRX info. This along with an auditory warning coming through the headset (with a nice female voice I might add) gets my attention.

I have only used it on a xc once since I have installed it, and it operated as advertised. As stated earlier, it is not a foolproof system. it does function, however, as a very good adjunct to seeing and avoiding.

Works Well

Mine is also on the glareshield, right of center. There is very little obscuration. I really wish it were better, but it's OK. Yes, it is effective. I have mine sending data to both my '496 and my GRT second display. There are imperfections in the accuracy, but it is good to have it, as ATC is not always telling you what you might want to know. Of course, if the other AC does not have a transponder then you will get no information. I am glad I have it and would recommend it to anyone who feels that it would enhance safety.

XRX - Don't leave home without it

I don't like flying without the XRX in my RV-7. It won't see the guys that aren't squawking but it doesn't miss those that are. If the unit indicates someone's close and I can't see them I take evasive action. I trust it that much.

XRX comments

I added the XRX to our RV7a at the beginning of the summer and really find it useful. I mounted it near the top of the baggage wall and ran a wire into a serial input on the GRT. It works. The direction of the traffic may not always to right, but since the altitude info come from the transponder data steam, I only get concerned when the closing traffic is near my altitude.

you betcha........

beside all the stuff said so far, this unit will make your passenger an expert at locating traffic. they will watch that unit and the outside like a hawk now. they even spot birds automatically. amazing. love my unit. it is the small zaon and sits right in front of me on the glareshield with the audio piped through my headset. nice people at the factory. if you buy one ask for the turboeddie discount and save $ for more flying. be safe. fly more.
vafwwwmasthead.jpg

... Of course, if the other AC does not have a transponder then you will get no information...
That's a big BUT! Also, it won't report if their transponder is turned off. Duh...

For those of you who have one, when do you find it most useful? Departing, cruise, or decent to land?

I ask because most of those planes w/o a transponder tend to say low, but not always.

That's a big BUT! Also, it won't report if their transponder is turned off. Duh...

For those of you who have one, when do you find it most useful? Departing, cruise, or decent to land?

I ask because most of those planes w/o a transponder tend to say low, but not always.

The other transponder also has to be interrogated too. By ATC's radar, or perhaps radar from a passing passenger or business jet. These units pick up the interrogation response.

I find mine the most useful while returning to the airport for landing. We're under Class B, and most aircraft have running transponders. We're also a bit squeezed due to mountains on one side, and Class B to the ground on the other. It's great having the ability to know that another aircraft is also sharing this airspace, and it's altitude.

All in all, although not perfect, these units are far more useful than not.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

My set up is exacltly like Tom, above the baggage area and coupled to GRT. It works very good, some times even better then TIS as I have that as well.

The direction of traffic however is not always accurate.

Mehrdad
RV7A-IO360M1B

I have an MRX and find it very useful, but you'd be surprised at how many airplanes are out flying with their transponders off. Every once in a while I get a false positive where it shows another airplane within 1.5mi, which prompts some serious looking around and then the alert will disappear.

Just installed mine and I love it. I had the older Traffic Scope which was OK but I had grown used to having it. It recently gave up the ghost and I really wanted to replace it. I had it for about 10 years. The XRX is much better than the older unit. I have it on the dash for now on my 7A slider. May mount it in the back as others have done although I do like the ability to mute it when you are flying with your buds in a group.