Mike D

Well Known Member
I did a search but could not find the answer so I will ask.

I know there are a few of you that have experience with booth the Zaon XRX and the Garmin 330. Do you see any differences in the traffic you see (or don?t see)?

Basic reason for me asking is that I don?t like the Zaon XRX?s mounting requirements. I am thinking about moving to a Garmin 330 to rid myself of the box blocking my view.

Looks like the Garmin has slightly better specs but I?m not sure how that translates to the real world.

Currently, I have the XRX mounted in their recommended position and I have seen traffic that did not show up on the EFIS. I am working on identifying a blind spot near my 2-3 o?clock that I think is caused by the metal support on my slider windshield. But I have also had some issues with aircraft at my 10 o?clock showing up on the EFIS at my 3 o?clock. (reflection?)

If nothing else, the TIS is a reminder to always look out the window for traffic.:)

I have both in my plane for over a year now and like both of them, but if I was going to choose one over the other, I would go with XRX.

Comparison of the two system:
Availability - XRX has TIS beat by a long shot as TIS is only available in busy/metropolitan area
The accuracy - I would say TIS is more accurate in terms of direction of the flight, otherwise about the same
Detection - It is about the same, there are times that I see traffic from TIS but not detected by XRX and there are times that XRX picks up traffic when TIS does not see it despite system being available

One other advantage of the XRX is that you can take it with you from A/C to another one with ease.

Mine is remote mounted and display is on my EIFS so obstruction of the view is not an issue.

Navworx

Consider ADS-B as well. I have been flying with Tim Olson the past couple of days and have been impressed with the coverage he has. Great traffic info.
If you wanted to get as much as possible, I think you can feed TIS data into the Navworx box and also purchase the XRX and have it all.
My next upgrade will be the Navworx into my Cheltons. Then I will have XM weather into my 396, TIS into my Grand Rapids and Cheltons (I think) and then I can ADS-B into the Cheltons that include traffic and weather info.

I know the coverage is not everywhere but it appears it is the places you need it most. I know you may not have a system to feed the data into.

Just another idea.

I note the Avmap INCAS will be able to display FLARM traffic info. I wonder if it will display XRX info?