hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
UPDATE: Zaon XRX, GRT, G-496 Info - see new post

I just purchased a Zaon XRX at the new, (much) lower price. One of the features is the ability to send TIS style data to other devices including the Garmin '496 and the GRT Horizon. The precision of the azimuth information is twice as good when displayed on one of those devices as compared to natively on the XRX screen (which is blanked when sending data to external devices).

The devil's in the details.

You configure the XRX to send data by selecting a profile. For now, the GRT can only accept "profile 2" at 57600 Baud. The Garmin's input format is proprietary so it needs the "Garmin" profile. You can only use one profile at a time. If you use the Garmin profile then you can't, for now, send GPS data to the GRT with it. That may improve in the future. The related problem for now is that the only COM configuration on the '496 that receives TIS and sends NMEA GPS also sends VHF and the GRT can't handle that for now either.

Since I use the '496 to send GPS data to the GRT and/or to the autopilot, I had to configure the XRX to send data to the secondary (right side) screen of the GRT. I had hoped to send the same signal to GRT and Garmin, but for now, it's not to be.

The XRX manual is silent on this so I'll tell you what I had to find out with a phone call: The 9-pin connector sends data from pin 2 and pin 5 is the ground. No change is needed in the switches from factory default. You can build your own connector; no need to buy their$.

The GRT can accept the serial data on any port, but serial 6 in is pin A-24 and that's what I used.
GRT configures a given port to only one Baud rate which applies to both input and output so you have to choose one where the 57600 rate won't interfere with whatever is on the output side, if anything.

I've updated the pictures of my panel on my website, but I haven't flown with this yet, so perhaps there's more to come.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Apart from the technical difficulties, I will be very interested to hear your reports on the performance of the unit. I've been looking at these for some time now, and would really like to get one to help watch my back. Seems like every other time I take to the air, some chucklehead is bearing down on me and I'd really like a second pair of eyes.

From all I've read, people are pretty happy with the gizmos, so I hope you are too (and will report back!).

Thanks

for the post with the technical details on interfacing the XRX to the 496 and GRT. I have noticed the lower price for the XRX and am considering it, but was concerned about the details for interfacing to the GRT. Your post helped me alot.

Very interesting. Apart from the technical difficulties, I will be very interested to hear your reports on the performance of the unit. I've been looking at these for some time now, and would really like to get one to help watch my back. Seems like every other time I take to the air, some chucklehead is bearing down on me and I'd really like a second pair of eyes.

From all I've read, people are pretty happy with the gizmos, so I hope you are too (and will report back!).
SteelMike,
I can attest to its functionality. I have been flying with the Zaon coupled with the Garmin 496 since May of last year in my Cessna 172. It is very accurate and the display on the 496 is fantastic. The XRX also sends out audio warnings when plugged into your headset. The audio is very useful. You are not always staring at the GPS screen so whenever I hear the tell tale "Traffic, Check closing rate!" It really gets your attention.

My opinion is that this was the most beneficial electronic device I have purchased. There have been many times when the unit notified me of traffic that I otherwise would have never seen. I had one experience flying southbound into the DFW Class B from the north when the unit alarm sounded with traffic ahead. Looking at the GPS we could see the traffic was at about our 2 o'clock at our altitude. We looked out the window at 2 o'clock and immediately picked up an aircraft flying SW to NE and closing on us fast. It was approximately 200 or 300 feet below us and passed under us in the opposite direction of our flight path uneventfully but it was close enough that if I had not had ample warning to look for it, it would have scared the "you know what" out of me, not to mention my wife would have probably given up flying with me right then and there.

I do not hesitate to recommend these units for anyone no matter what type of flying they do.

Live Long and Prosper.

I have used the XRX a little bit and it seemed to work okay. I sure wish there was a way to mount it remotely, instead of requiring that big box to sit on the glareshield. It seems like either the belly or under the vertical stabilizer cap would be a perfect place for the antenna. The lack of a remote mounting option is the one thing keeping me from buying one for my airplane.

mcb

I have used the XRX a little bit and it seemed to work okay. I sure wish there was a way to mount it remotely, instead of requiring that big box to sit on the glareshield. It seems like either the belly or under the vertical stabilizer cap would be a perfect place for the antenna. The lack of a remote mounting option is the one thing keeping me from buying one for my airplane.
Mine does sit on top of the dash in my 172 taildragger. I do not like the fact it is blocking some of the view out the window. But the truth is, it does not really block much of the view once you are accustomed to it. I understand where you are coming from though. I would be the first to say, however, not to let that be the final factor for your decision not to use it.

Looking at the GPS we could see the traffic was at about our 2 o'clock at our altitude. We looked out the window at 2 o'clock and immediately picked up an aircraft flying SW to NE and closing on us fast. It was approximately 200 or 300 feet below us and passed under us in the opposite direction of our flight path uneventfully but it was close enough that if I had not had ample warning to look for it, it would have scared the "you know what" out of me, not to mention my wife would have probably given up flying with me right then and there.

I grew up and learned how to fly in Idaho, but I'm recently re-current and flying in LA. I probably have less than 20 hours in the Los Angeles basin and have had four - count 'em - four experiences just like this. That's one close call every five hours.

Let's see, there was the Grumman that made a right crosswind into my downwind after being instructed to make straight out departure, the king air that was cleared to the same altitude and same radial and same location at the same time by the same controller as I just was, the commanche that made a non-standard pattern entry (straight downwind) that got pretty close to my left crosswind standard departure, and then the columbia 400 that almost steamrolled me from behind while we were both on radar services.

Oh, and that leaves out the guy that taxied onto the runway when I was short final for landing!

Yikes, when I look at it this way, I gotta get one of these things (or something similar) to help me out...

Curious for all you so-cal flyers, do you have experiences like this? I fully admit that I may be doing something wrong. I'm relatively low time so its a real possibility, but stuff like taxiing onto the runway while a plane is short final or running someone over from behind while on flight following seems pretty straightforward.

Zaon remote mounted...

As understand it, the XRX can be remote mounted, and be configured to "auto start" as soon as it is powered up. We were thinking of fitting the unit in the fibreglass fin top, but having made a mock up of the unit, it looks as if it is about 1 1/2" too wide, so needing to reshape the fibreglass.....we are not sure this is a good idea. Your thoughts of putting a unit under the belly might be an option but that would of course block out signals from above.
It can also be offset 45 deg. Any thoughts on distorting the top of the fin?
Henrik

Last edited:
Zaon remote mounted... it can be

I ordered my to auto start figuring I would do the same thing. So far I have not figured out where to mount it - altough I haven't tried too hard yet.

Under the belly would be be a pretty bad place to put it since it would block too many threats. The tail (location wise) is the best idea I have heard of. You have the width issue just about right - I might play around with that.

As understand it, the XRX can be remote mounted, and be configured to "auto start" as soon as it is powered up. We were thinking of fitting the unit in the fibreglass fin top, but having made a mock up of the unit, it looks as if it is about 1 1/2" too wide, so needing to reshape the fibreglass.....we are not sure this is a good idea. Your thoughts of putting a unit under the belly might be an option but that would of course block out signals from above.
It can also be offset 45 deg. Any thoghts on distorting the top of the fin?
Henrik

Just sitting here pondering.....where else is there any fibre glass.....what about out in a wing tip: as long as it is forward facing it should be fairly easy to get the unit set correctly for level flight.....would the strobe pulse cause a problem?......

Not sure, but...

I bet the metal wing would effectively blind the unit in the direction of the wing.

Just sitting here pondering.....where else is there any fibre glass.....what about out in a wing tip: as long as it is forward facing it should be fairly easy to get the unit set correctly for level flight.....would the strobe pulse cause a problem?......

Curious for all you so-cal flyers, do you have experiences like this?

Mike,

I fly out of SMO, and while I haven't had as many close calls as you, I have a few that have caught me by suprise. In the 2 172's in my flying club one has TIS and one doesn't. I fly the one with TIS as much as possible. I'm always amazed by the traffic out there that I never see.

I've been thinking about purchasing a X95 and a Xanon for use when I'm in the planes that don't have TIS. It seems like a prudent investment.

Update on wiring and using Zaon XRX

To skip all the things that did not work, I finally got one that does:

Connect to any available GRT Serial In port that is 9600 data rate and configure that (General set up menu) to receive not Zaon XRX but Garmin GTX 330 (TIS) and set the XRX to use the Garmin profile.

I have not tried the extra connection to the '496 and suspect it won't work because I have the 496 wired to feed the autopilot directly as well as the GRT, but only one at a time, switch-selected. The Garmin interface menu has only one setting that has traffic in and NMEA out. The two problems with that are: 1] it's 9600 and in the past I've had issues with that going to the GRT. 2] it is also sending "VHF" on the same channel at the same time and I don't know how either the GRT or the TruTrak will handle that.

Meanwhile, in use, I like the unit which I have set for a 6 mile range. I've yet to see the traffic it is pointing out, though. I guess that's a good thing. I like having the big moving map with the view that puts the aircraft in the center and uses the 5 or 10 mile range setting. That gives me a traffic indication that is very easy to use.

Like everyone who has raised the issue I am enormously frustrated with having the big lump on the glare shield, but in reality, I don't find it's interfering with visibility at all. It's so close I'm sort of seeing around it.

2] it is also sending "VHF" on the same channel at the same time and I don't know how either the GRT or the TruTrak will handle that..

Should handle it just fine. The VHF data will have different labels and the GRT and the TT should just ignore them.

Ideas

Why not mount on the area behind the rear pax on a RV-8 or make a small shelf suspended from the top of the canopy on side by side RVs or make a fiberglass cover and mount the unit on the top of the aft fuselage? All of the areas are at least as open for coverage reasons as the glare shield. It would be nice to have a representative from Zaon speak to the forum about possible remote options related to this great product. I believe there is more than enough interest for someone with the company to grace this humble forum.

Not Really;

I bet the metal wing would effectively blind the unit in the direction of the wing.
I have the remote antenna for my MRX mounted on the bottom of the fuselage just forward of the horizontal stabilizer and I get traffic from every direction.
I've done some beta testing for Zaon and they convinced me that the wing would block very little if any signal at all on the size aircraft that we fly. I still pick up traffic above and ahead where you would think the signal might be blocked.

I have the remote antenna for my MRX mounted on the bottom of the fuselage just forward of the horizontal stabilizer and I get traffic from every direction.
I've done some beta testing for Zaon and they convinced me that the wing would block very little if any signal at all on the size aircraft that we fly. I still pick up traffic above and ahead where you would think the signal might be blocked.

I had the metal hangar doors, of an all metal hangar, open about 18" the other day, directly in front of the RV, because it was so stinking cold....

My MRX, with the attached antenna sitting on the glareshield, was still picking up all the traffic ( at least those with a working transponder) in the pattern.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

XRX

I've had mine for about 3 years. I got it after having 2 fairly close calls.
Haven't had anything so close since. The XRX definitely helps although it misses a fair bit too. It's not all that accurate in terms of position info in my experience and I have had several episodes where it detected persistent non-existent aircraft 1 mile off my right wing. That said, it could definitely save your life. If it tells you there's traffic you better look. It's almost always right.

Steve

Make sure your transponder antenna is clean.

I have had several episodes where it detected persistent non-existent aircraft 1 mile off my right wing. That said, it could definitely save your life. If it tells you there's traffic you better look. It's almost always right.

Steve
Typically if you are consistently showing "ghost" traffic at close range, it is often caused by a dirty transponder antenna.

Cut a hole in the glare shield just so the antenna can poke out. Mount in on a tray underneath. Just might be difficult to find space.

Ken