N62XS

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried to separate the antenna from a Zaon XRX and remote mount the antenna in order to panel mount the display. I remember discussion at SNF08 about a possible new unit with a remote mount antenna, but nothing since.

I have been following the ZAON unit since it came on the market. I really like the product but refuse to plunk that big lump on my glare shield to mar the unobstructed view I enjoy with my 7A tip up canopy. Repeated inquiries with the ZAON folks assured me that they were working on a panel mount version until they informed me at Osh08 they were shelving that idea.

I guess I will have to wait until enough customers ask for it and they change their mind or a competitor fills that need. How difficult can it be to separate the antenna array from the rest of the box?

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988

Most likely they are shelving it because they were saying that it was going to run like three times the cost of the current unit and many people were not happy with that price over on their forum.

I can't see why it would need to be that much more expensive....

Zaon

We are dealers for Zaon, and I've asked this questions a couple times, most recently about a week ago. They do not have any plans at this time of continuing a remote antenna option.

If you do open the unit and attempt to detach the antenna, this would, of course, void any warranty.

That said, if you're successful, we'd all like to know about it. I, for one, wouldn't mind voiding my warranty on my personal unit for this benefit! :)