Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Too late to call Zaon direct, (and their website is no help) so I will try the VAF database:D

Does anybody know if the model XRX has audio output in the Dsub 9 connection???

I am trying to get the audio signal into my Garmin audio panel on one of the alert inputs.

If so, what pins??

A pinout of the Dsub 9 is worth extra points;)

As usual, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nope the audio is not on the RS232 connector.

PIN 2 DATA OUT, and PIN 5 GROUND per Zaon Tech Support.

That is all you need. The power on a separate plug.

Brian, thanks for the info, not what I wanted to hear:(

I am looking to minimize the cabeling from the XRX through the glare shield, and was hoping to get everything from the Dsub.

Mike,

What are you connecting it to if anything?

If you are connecting it to a Garmin handheld, the Garmin will provide the audio alerts.

I have never hooked up my Zaon's audio ports to anything. I let the GPS do the talking....

Even when I have the Zaon working as a stand alone unit, the beeper in it is pretty loud even in an RV cockpit. I can hear it beeping at me in the 7. The screen flashes as well so it gets your attention.

Mike,
I will go along with what Brian is telling you. I originally had the XRX in my 172 prior to getting the RV flying. I had the Zaon audio out cord running directly to an audio input jack on my headsets at that time. The audio worked great that way. However, when I moved the unit into my RV I attempted to run the XRX audio out to the unswitched audio in of my PM3000 intercom. NADA. I got nothing. After many emails, phone calls, etc. with Zaon and Garmin I was told to let the Garmin 695 feed audio to the PM3000. So I ran a cord from the 695 audio out to the PM3000 audio in. Bingo. I had audio. It was Garmin audio instead of Zaon but it worked.

There is a slight difference with the audio. Zaon audio would announce:
"TRAFFIC! MONITOR CLOSING RATE!"
It would repeat this every 15-20 seconds unless you pressed the MUTE button or until the threat went away.

The Garmin only announces:
"TRAFFIC!"
It only announces this one time when it senses traffic and does not repeat.

It is a subtle difference but noticeable.

Anyway, just wanted to give my experience.

Mike,

What are you connecting it to if anything?

The audio panel is all. I dont want to depend on hearing a beep from the unit with noise canceling headphones on.

At this time, I do not plan on hooking it up to the GRT, but I may explore the idea of hooking it to the AvMap for a display, but it (AvMap) does not have an audio out that I am aware of.

Hope this helps, ZAON sells a WiFi attachment for the DB9 connector. If you have anything WiFi capable.......Dan