Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Anybody out there have a Zaon XRX feeding into their GRT EFIS??

What does the traffic indication look like-----what screens does the traffic show up on.

How do you like the presentation, or is it not worth the effort, just use the Zaon readout?

Bonus points for any photos showing the above.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mike,

I have been displaying my Zaon on the GRT for over a year now. Until recently I had the older WS screens and traffic only showed on the map page. It shows as a diamond and the altitude above or below you plus a vector arrow that indicates if the targed is gaining or loosing altitude in relation to you. Target closer that 2miles trigger a pop up window showing greater detail.

Recently I changed to the HX screens. The presentation on the map screen is still the same but now I can also see traffic on the PFD in the same position it appears out the window. If the traffic is more than 2 miles away it has the same symbology as on the map screen but once it gets within 2miles the diamond turns into a yellow attention getting ball. The ball grows in size the closer the target gets. It is transparent so you can still see the info behind it.

I mounted my Zaon in the wing tip with excellent results.

Marrin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor

Thanks Martin, I am still using the older, smaller screens----what they used to call the Horizon 1. I am guessing that they are the same as your old screens.

Luckily, I do use the map screen for most of my flying, only go to PFD for take off and landing, so I will have traffic available most of the time.

Hi Mike,

I have been displaying my Zaon on the GRT for over a year now. Until recently I had the older WS screens and traffic only showed on the map page. It shows as a diamond and the altitude above or below you plus a vector arrow that indicates if the targed is gaining or loosing altitude in relation to you. Target closer that 2miles trigger a pop up window showing greater detail.

Recently I changed to the HX screens. The presentation on the map screen is still the same but now I can also see traffic on the PFD in the same position it appears out the window. If the traffic is more than 2 miles away it has the same symbology as on the map screen but once it gets within 2miles the diamond turns into a yellow attention getting ball. The ball grows in size the closer the target gets. It is transparent so you can still see the info behind it.

I mounted my Zaon in the wing tip with excellent results.

Marrin Sutter
EAA Technical Councelor
Martin,
Thanks for this information. I have the Zaon in my plane but have it display on the Garmin 695. Can you give details on what wiring you used from the Zaon to the GRT HX? This sounds like something I would like to change with my setup. Especially if I were to go with the new Garmin GDL39 ADS-B. I could have the Zaon feeding the GRT HX and the GDL39 ADS-B feeding the 695.

Any information would be appreciated.

Zaon and Grt

It takes serial port in the GRT to display the traffic from the Zaon. If you have a spare port, go to the set up menu and toggle thru the selectable options of that channel until you find Garmin GTX330 and select it. On the Zaon com set up use the "Garmin" option. This will present the on screen information in the same manner as TIS from the GTX330.

Good luck,

Martin Sutter
EAA Technical Counselor

Mike,

I don't use Zaon but have the old GRT H1. The traffic depiction is the same regardless what is the traffic source. Here is a screen shot showing map page with traffic. At this time GRT only show a diamond with a vector and altitude above or below. GRT will show only traffic within 4,000'. When there is traffic within 2 nm a warning circle will appear. When you do split screen traffic will still show up on the map. However, no warning circle will appear.

I am waiting for GRT to upgrade the software so more information will be displayed.

IMG_7462.JPG

It takes serial port in the GRT to display the traffic from the Zaon. If you have a spare port, go to the set up menu and toggle thru the selectable options of that channel until you find Garmin GTX330 and select it. On the Zaon com set up use the "Garmin" option. This will present the on screen information in the same manner as TIS from the GTX330.

Good luck,

Martin Sutter
EAA Technical Counselor
Thanks Martin,
One other question, wired up this way are you still getting the audio warnings? Currently I have the Zaon wired to my panel mounted 695. I could not get the audio from the Zaon to pipe to my PM3000 so I ran an audio patch cable from the 695 to an audio in port on the 3000. If I change the display from the 695 to the HX I am concerned about losing the audio functionality. Any information on this?