odlee

Well Known Member
Today was a CAVU day for the Carolinas. I left GSO(Greensboro, NC) for CRE (Grand Strand, SC). As I was approaching CRE, a Piper Navajo was behind me. He was 1,000 feet above and ATC was calling traffic to both of us. His voice relayed the impression he assumed he would be placed before me. He finally made the statement to ATC that he had to be a lot faster than the RV. ATC replied,"NO, you both are actually going the same speed" and sent him on a slightly offset heading. I was cleared to land, went straight to the runway numbers on a base leg , then landed. The controller cleared the Navajo to land and he finally landed as I was exiting the plane.

I don't have any illusions about the differences between the two planes. The Navajo is a rather large cabin class twin, can fly high, but the max speed is only 235-240 knots, with a cruising speed around 207 - 210 knots. It was still fun to be involved!

Great planes, these RV's.:D
Happy Holidays,
David

Last edited:
same experience

Earlier this year, I was coming back to Atlanta from Texas. By chance, a Navajo that departed Brownwood just before me chose the same airport in Mississippi for a fuel stop.

We recognized each other, and said hello. You could see a little surprise in his eyes to see the little homebuilt that could. The difference in our trip times? Oh about 10 minutes and 50 gallons. His kids did have a little more elbow room.

Don

Earlier this year, I was coming back to Atlanta from Texas. By chance, a Navajo that departed Brownwood just before me chose the same airport in Mississippi for a fuel stop.

We recognized each other, and said hello. You could see a little surprise in his eyes to see the little homebuilt that could. The difference in our trip times? Oh about 10 minutes and 50 gallons. His kids did have a little more elbow room.

Don

I've been thinking about a PA31 as a step-up airplane in a couple years... step up from the Cardinal... not to replace the RV :D. Looking for a FIKI airplane. :D

WAY TOO OPTOMISTIC

A Chieftain down low is 180-190 kts at any reasonable power setting. MAYBE 220 kts above 15,000'. These are not factory numbers but real life numbers. A great workhorse airplane but relatively expensive to operate.

Years ago I flew two different Chieftains in part 135, flight planned for 175 KTS
at 40 GPH.
Glad I was not paying the bills on those babies.

Last edited: