ron sterba

Well Known Member
(RV9A) I installed my tosten hat switch grip and now have run the wire bundle out the bottom of the control tube. Then a one inch loop and then tie wrapped the bundle for 6" along cross center push rod. At this point is my transition to a connection point with the wires. What iam wondering is how did you get to a stationary/connection point for your wire bundle? The space between the ribs that I plan to have my connection point is the first space left of the tunnel and about 6 inches back of the far aft movement of the cross push rod.WITH THE FLEXING AND PULLING OF THE BUNDLE what are your thoughts for,,,,,, adel clamps,,,,sub-d (sideways-up-down-angle),,,,support bracket,,, distance back for flexing point.and wire sleeve. Thanks Guys and Ladies too.

I just started making a 5" square plate to mount this connection point PLUS my Ray Allan REL-2 relay (elevator trim).

I did the search engine but couldn't find the info. Appreciate your comments and of course any fotos.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

I put the moving part of the bundle in some flexible vinyl tubing and anchored both ends well. The tubing flexes evenly and won't kink.

Hi Gil. Could you use heavy shrink tubing as the flexible tubing? Do you have any slices in that flexible cable. My bundle I don't think is long enough to go to a big loop. Guess I could shorten the wire bundle by5" &put the slice anchored on the cross push rod the the big piece of flex tubing to a clamp on the rib. I'll give it a try in a few minutes.

Ron in Oregon. RV9A

Hi Gil. Could you use heavy shrink tubing as the flexible tubing? Do you have any slices in that flexible cable. My bundle I don't think is long enough to go to a big loop. Guess I could shorten the wire bundle by5" &put the slice anchored on the cross push rod the the big piece of flex tubing to a clamp on the rib. I'll give it a try in a few minutes.

Ron in Oregon. RV9A

I don't think a shrink tube would have the same effect.

In my case I didn't need a big loop, just enough that the vinyl tubing isn't taut at full movement.

My end connections are simply D-sub pins and sockets with a shrink tube over them... idea courtesy of AeroElectric Bob -

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Wiring_Technique/Dsub-Pin_Splice_3.jpg

The D-sub pins let you insert the wires one at a time through the vinyl tubing.

Gil you are spot on with the vinyl tubing.
Went to Lowes a little while ago and purchased clear vinyl tubing and it works well. I have one adel clamp on the cross arm with the tubing as it exists the control stick at the bottom. Then 8" of tubing to the other clamp on the rib. I see what you mean about the flexing. Sorta a eye thing for the right deviation in the travel of the tubing so as to not have it bunch up at either end of the tubing. I like the splice from Bobs (aero electric.) book. I didnt know he had a on line version too! I have just the book.
Curious,,, on the splice in the picture there are color rings on both female and male ends. What do they mean? The sub-d pins at our local electronic store doesn't have pins that have the rings nor do they know what they mean. Can you help me here?

Thanks Gil.

I noticed a lot on hits on this question that you answered. This is one of those questions you print out and store it in your build manual. The vinyl tubing looks like it could be used for the wires of the rudder light between the Vert stab and rudder.

Always appreciate your comments.
Ron in Oregon RV9A

Mil Spec

Ron, the colored rings are a marking to show the exact Mil Spec number of machined D-Sub pins.

All of the good machined pins you get should be marked. This is the version we usually use -

D-Sub_20AWG_Pin.jpg

Stein has the good ones...

http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=504

Last edited:
Thanks Gil! You have been very helpful. Much appreciated my friend! Stein is a excellent source for top notch connectors. I just learned something new today , rings have meanings. Just like the ones on a man's finger.In small print my reads "married to a RV9A

Thanks my friend!
Ron in Oregon