Cadstat

Well Known Member
Let's hear your very best safety tip.

For me, after 3 dead sticks and 1 power loss on take off, I began to realize that just after breaking ground I'm really thinking about landing. Where am I going to go if this thing quits? Attempting a restart is out of the question down this low. The decision as to where to land is constantly updated all the way to pattern altitude. The few seconds to consider the options 'if' power fails just after lift off might have wasted 20 percent of the short time I have. The decision has already been made.

Bonus Tip. The last thing I check before applying power at take off is Oil Pressure. If you don't have that not much else is going to matter for long.

In your case, I would examine why I have so many problems. Is it the aircraft type, fuel issues, engine issues? Fix that and you are much better off.

Though I don't have much experience with power loss I think it is a good habit to always know where to land, just in case.

Having flown some hours in a glider from an airfield located in the city I have learned to choose an emergency landing spot before take off (a plane may loose power or a towing rope may fail)

Also, as I knew many pilots who flew powered hang-gliders or ultralights which, espetially ~20 years ago had poor engines, even when flying cross-country I always look for a proper field to land on (you have to consider such things as: is it level? wind, electricity wires, what is grown there? as well as length and width). For me the best solution would be a multiengine. I both can't fly and afford one, but I think that guys who do will agree.

Unpowered landings were quite popular, it was even one of tasks during ultralight championships, but they don't teach us to land this way any more here in Poland. Unless you ask for it;D

What if?

Asking this before, during and after flight. All phases of flight, not just the engine quitting... I bet many more accidents happen because of weather for instance than the old Lyco giving up...

Other words, leave yourself an out for any event. That's my personal practice, not to say I haven't stumbled a time or two..

Dead stick

In your case, I would examine why I have so many problems. Is it the aircraft type, fuel issues, engine issues? Fix that and you are much better off.

Ron, it wasn't the same plane and 40 years of flying will present many opportunities to save your own bacon. One of those engine outs was the flight instructor trying to make a point.

Last edited: