ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
you finally get around to putting away last years Christmas decorations...IN AUGUST!

I brought my plane to the airport on 9/11/11 and I finally put the decorations away tonight. They took over the spot in my garage that used to be the airplane factory and I got so focused on finishing up, that's where they stayed, until tonight.

The good news is that I now have more room up in the rafters for the Xmas stuff since there are no more airplane parts up there.

As I was putting them away I spotted my long forgotten Gentle Lady R/C glider project I started back in the early 90's. Maybe someday I'll finish that. I've only built one flying airplane in my life though: my RV.

A gentle Lady?

We used to go thru those like a hot knife through butter. My friend and I bought a half a case. Took me three planes to learn how to fly RC. We used to build them in a night from shaking the bits out of the box to final covering. Built an RV?, No problem.

Kelly, I didn't go searching to see if a thread like this already exists. Probably does.

You know you've just finished an airplane when...

2) The tool you need is ALWAYS at the other place (be it hangar or garage)

3) Your car gas bill goes through the roof.

4) You realize that partially primed (or bare) fiberglass really doesn't bother you aesthetically anymore.

5) You have to concentrate to say YOUR callsign rather than the one from that ****ed spam can you've been renting for years.

Wow, Bill!!!! You were spot-on with all four of those! LOL.

my add would be:

(6) These days your first repair idea for anything that breaks at home is to rivet it.

As I was putting them away I spotted my long forgotten Gentle Lady R/C glider project I started back in the early 90's. Maybe someday I'll finish that. I've only built one flying airplane in my life though: my RV.

Nice - my first R/C was the Electra, basically a Gentle Lady with a glandular problem and an electric motor. Built, crashed, rebuilt... lather, rinse, repeat...

Some more, although I'm not yet finished...

7) You find yourself trying to incorporate leftover ProSeal into common household repairs.

8) You carry a picture of the finished plane in your wallet and can't understand when strangers don't believe that you actually built it.

9) You use the threat of "no plane rides for a month!" to make your children behave.

10) You suddenly need a booking agent to coordinate all your elementary school classroom appearances.

11) You start watching TV again and finally realize what a waste of time it is!

HA! I'm living #2 right now! That is slowly changing as I bring tools home.

#11 is spot on as well. I used to know something about professional baseball and football but I just don't know what is going on anymore since building the plane.

It's funny, there is a guy at work who is a big baseball fan who isn't aware that I haven't been into it for years now. He'll still come up to me and ask me about what I thought about a specific play the night before or perhaps a trade. Fortunatly, he's the type of guy who answers his own questions. I only have to reply with "Yea, I know" or "Can you believe that?" and that gets me by.

And by the way, go Giants! I THINK they beat the Dodgers last night...didn't they? :confused:

You are never done, it is just a lot more fun when the done-ness level gets to the point you can actually fly the stupid thing.....

12) You get a call from Aircraft Spruce to see if you are ok, as they haven't gotten an order from you in over a month.

13) For the first time in years, you are looking forward to the annual airplane directory from Kit Planes.....

14) When you go to the airport, you find you are spending more time sitting around with the local airport bums.

As I was putting them away I spotted my long forgotten Gentle Lady R/C glider project I started back in the early 90's... I've only built one flying airplane in my life though: my RV.

15) You finally open the pages to one of the flying magazines in the huge stack you receive every month but haven't read in years (Sport Av, Flying, AOPA Pilot, etc. -my stack is over 18 inches high)

Ahh, The Gentle Lady - that one started it all for me, too, about 25 yrs ago!

And that part about only building one flying airplane, hah! We know about you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Johnson_(engineer) (Cool name you have there Kelly)!