Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
1) You have your credit card number (including the 3 digits on the back) memorized because you are making little parts orders from Van’s, ACS, and many other vendors every other day….

2) Your shop floor is littered with short little nits of wire insulation, wire tie tails, and wire bundling string. …

3) You jump from wiring to Plexiglas edge sanding to fiberglass lay-ups, all in the same work session….

4) You long for the days of match drilling, deburring, and dimpling….

I am sure there are many more!

Paul

Last edited:
5) You haven't changed plans sheets (or even looked at the plans) in months...

6) You get really excited when you get to make a bracket! Yay, sheet metal work again!

8) You end each session saying, "Now it's starting to look like a real airplane..."

Wood building

12 . You're building wood craddles to safely move the project to the airport

large_Divers_008_1_79018.jpg

large_Divers_010_1_d30b4.jpg

Last edited:

14-You keep bugging your building partner to start talking to the paint shop for a reservation next spring. Paul????

(BTW, what's a "finish" kit?)

21. You have your Chiropractor on speed dial from all the bending into the fuse running wiring, hooking up linkages, etc

When...

you stumble out of the hanger covered in fiberglass dust, drop to your knees and thank God you didn't build a Long-EZ.

22. The UPS and the FedEx guy know the daily status of your project.
23. Your wife starts deleting your TiVo shows without asking.
24. The builder's manual is no longer out, and there are a thousand sticky notes and punch lists taped around the shop.
25. You start paying hangar rent for an empty hangar.

I'm Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for helping me realize I'm also working hard, on everything at the same time and it just doesn't seem closer.

:D

26. When painting starts to sound like fun.

I'm all about #22. The Saturday FedEx guy asks about it. Been back to the shop 2x. Ex-Navy catapult mechanic. Super nice guy.

Rick 90432

#27 When you have clicked Submit Order for your last aircraft spruce order.

nevermind...forgot something.

30 Something) When your bank account is nearly empty.
30 Something + 1) You know you're done when the bank account reaches empty.

Last edited:
28 or 31 ... You write the "Aircraft Owner and Maintainer Tool List" - compression tester, spark plug cleaner and gap tool, mag synchronizer, plane jacking devices, etc.

This must be a repeat offender thing - not significant to me

The finish kit was just another big box of Van's arbitrarily selected parts out back on the patio supplying material for the airplane being fabricated in the garage. Finishing sensations for me occurred when major components went together in my shop (on it's landing gear, engine hung, canopy finished, wings and tail mounted & rigged, moved to the airport for final assembly).

Bob Axsom

1. It no longer matters that the kit that you are building isn't prepunched;
2. You congratulate yourself that you got that new engine and prop past the ever supportive spouse, and realize that the instrument panel will be an almost equal challenge;
3. Time to start flying again.

Bill Brooks
Ottawa, ON
Canada
RV-6A finishing kit