Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I went out to fly to day. As I was doing my pre-flight I got distracted. I checked the oil, but didn't latch the door. In case anyone is interested, the door opens at about 70 kts. It was a bit of a surprise, but not a big deal. I called tower and returned to land. As I slowed to land the door closed. I checked it closely after landing and there was no damage.

Lesson, when you are doing a pre-flight, don't stop to chat.

I did the same thing a few months ago. I have a spring loaded door (the spring holds the oil door open when it's unlatched). I had previously removed, and lost, the spring while doing some maintenance.

I was preparing for a formation practice flight, so I completed my preflight before the pre-brief, but didn't latch the oil door. We taxied out, did our run-ups, and then performed a formation take-off - three ships taking off simultaneously. As soon as I got airborne, the oil door popped open while I was tight on my Lead. I stayed in position until we turned cross-wind, and then announced my situation and broke away from the flight to return to the ground for an uneventful landing.

The open oil door had absolutely no effect on the ability to FLY THE PLANE! However, it was embarassing enough that I got on the phone and ordered a new spring that day from Cleaveland Tools.:eek:

Mine will lift up under taxi power... Guess how I know. :p

Scott, too bad you already had a call sign. Incidents like this are good for getting one. :)

Mine lifted up at the start of engine run up...the airport libation room (armed with runway video feed) was not manned at the time...therefore I was spared the obligation of having to replenish the refrigerator stock.

However, another -8 owner friend of mine was not so lucky. His oil filler door opened about 20 miles from the field. He did incur minor lifting damage to the mounting hinge and skin. He was able to straighten the hinge and skin using duck billed pliers.

Last edited:
Recent flight from Everglades City to Venice in my 6A. Oil door open up on takeoff. After leveling off, door closed and I continued to Venice. Nice to know.

...Scott, too bad you already had a call sign. Incidents like this are good for getting one. :)

You mean like "LATCH"? :D

I was deleting old videos from my computer last week and ran across the hodgpodge of short videos of my first engine start -- well, attempts at starting the engine.

Once I got it all figured out, I slid into the cockpit and, with camera rolling, fired up the engine for the first time ... only to see the baggage door start flopping up and down. Harrumph. Had to get out and lock the sucker. Rather embarassing. :eek:

One of the posters mentioned formation flight. Formation flight can change your habit patterns and lead to issues. I did my first formation clinic last spring. My normal habit pattern is to latch the canopy and then push up to insure it is latched. In the rush of a formation takeoff and the quick pace of ground ops I simply closed and latched the canopy. A alert flight lead noticed that it was not fully closed. This is where I learned that my canopy could be latched yet not actually properly closed. The canopy warning light and voice caution come off the latch not the canopy so there were no warnings.
The point of this is that if you are new to formation flying or planning a first time clinic to attend you should review all your ground procedures including preflight and taxi operations. Try and come up with streamlined procedures that are consistent and cover all the safety items. You will find yourself time constrained in formation operations.

George