Gandalf

Well Known Member
I searched and may have missed the answer to this ?. I am starting on the fuselage kit and wish to paint the cockpit interior parts as I assemble the fuselage as suggested in this forum. I have been satisfied using acid etch rattle can auto primer on the wing and tail parts as needed. From reading the post online I am considering using Sherwin Williams Jet Flex WR P09511 to match the powder coated color from Van's. Any suggestions as to the likelihood of a good result using combination of acid etch rattle can primer and WR Jet Flex?

Jeff

The paint will only stick as well as the primer does. There also might be chemical problems. I'd use whatever primer SW recommends for their paint system. It will be a better and more durable result with that.

The paint will only stick as well as the primer does. There also might be chemical problems. I'd use whatever primer SW recommends for their paint system. It will be a better and more durable result with that.

They sell a primer, but it's not really for metal.

They told me a good epoxy primer would be fine. Scuff it up first if it was painted a while ago...

I had a problem applying Jet Flex over Napa etching spray can primer, it would lift and wrinkle . I switched primer and it took care of the problem.

Home Depot. Rattle can "Pro" Aluminum etching Primer. Matching "Pro" finish - variety of colors. Went on easy, dried hard. Maybe add clear coat if you like it. If you do a full interior kit you will see almost none of the interior paint x/c the roll bar.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

So it sounds like Jet Flex will work over some primers such as two part epoxy primers. That may be more work than I want. I went ahead and tested a DupliColor rattle can paint over the DupliColor rattle can acid primer and the paint seems well attached. I will need to see if they have a close match to the Van's pedal color or look at Home Depot and switch manufacturers.

I also noticed a pre-fabricated RV12 fuel tank for sale at $445. So I may want to skimp on the interior kit and let Van's build the fuel tank for me :)

About the fuel tank... You will still have to do some work on the pre-fabbed tank. Closing the top lid for instance. And then you don't have the experience from gooping up the other parts in the build process. The pre-fab tank came out right when I ordered my Finish Kit and I opted to build mine. I had no leaks whatsoever, no problem with the build and I also put the sight gauge glass in (again, no problems).
In hindsight, I think I did the right thing saving the quite high expense for the pre-fabbed tank and putting it towards other goodies.