Lars

Well Known Member
Sponsor
A few months ago my oil temperature reading started showing 59 degrees F, which per GRT indicates an open. It's been intermittent, so I lived with it, but since it's condition inspection time I want to replace it. Wiggling the probe wires didn't change anything, shorting the lead from the EIS to ground sent the reading to 303 degrees, which indicates a short. The EIS and related wiring appears to be fine.

In reading lots of other threads, I see that I am hardly the first to have one of these fail. The hard black cement around the lead wires was cracked, as others have reported, but the wires appeared to be ok.

I ordered a replacement from GRT but they sent me an oil pressure sensor. Upon discovering that mistake, I got frustrated and I started picking at the dead probe. Having been around electronics and transducers of various kinds for much of my 34 year engineering career, I'd have to say that while these things may work ok for awhile, the construction is pretty amateurish, especially as regarding the strain relief of the conductors. Has anyone found a better quality replacement?

Meanwhile, If I can figure out what the device (thermistor?) is inside the stylish brass housing, I can probably replace it for a lot less than GRT charges for the sensor, and do at least as good a job of strain relieving the leads- and hopefully make it live longer. Anyone know what's inside the thing?

Hi Lars,

I shared in your same frustration with the GRT oil temp sensor. A little over a year ago GRT started using a new glue to adhere the sensor to the brass housing. Instead of it being a brittle black adhesive, it is instead softer and gray in color. For the past 100+ hours it has performed flawlessly. I think if you make your case to them over the phone, they will get you a new one for free, or worst case for the cost of shipping as they realized they definitely had an issue.

My first oil temp with the brittle black adhesive did not last more than a 10-15 hours and GRT replaced it for free. On the replacement part, I put a bit of Red RTV at the base to keep the wire from shaking and moving and 480+ hours later, it has been functioning flawlessly.