pierre smith

Well Known Member
The Race-to-Ridgeland started as I crossed the line at 9:02 a.m, WOT and the revs dialed back a bit. The 128 mile course used 4 airports in a rough rectangle shape, which my -10 completed in 45 minutes or so, top time of day!

A retractable Lancair 360 placed next, 45 seconds behind! The second airport was overcast, variable at times to broken and since we had to make a 360 minimum, at the turn points, the Lancair made several at one airport in order to try and see the ground, costing him valuable time. I lucked out and saw the airport through a hole and went on.

Interestingly, my Dynon showed a continuous TAS of 214 MPH, occasionally topping 220, indicating 210 MPH at 1,000' for the whole trip...3 MPH faster than last year. CHT's maxed out at 402 deg and oil was 205F. I had fiddled with different RPM's and found the fastest one in transit to Ridgeland from home.

Then on to Peachtree City to Falcon Squadron's wonderful fly-in with over 50 RV's...every model present! A good day indeed!

Tom Swearingen (TS Flightlines) was at Ridgeland and quickly proceeded to slice and section my fuel hose that had the firesleeve burned through, (he made it) to see its internals. Several of us were amazed to not see any blistering or failure mode of the teflon liner! If it had been rubber, we would have been toast, more than likely.

I'm a bit rushed for Church happenings but I have several pictures of the insides of the hose that I'll post this afternoon.

Best,

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Race-to-Ridgeland started as I crossed the line at 9:02 a.m, WOT and the revs dialed back a bit. The 128 mile course used 4 airports in a rough rectangle shape, which my -10 completed in 45 minutes or so, top time of day!

I would love to have seen that grin:D

Tom Swearingen (TS Flightlines) was at Ridgeland and quickly proceeded to slice and section my fuel hose that had the firesleeve burned through, (he made it) to see its internals. Several of us were amazed to not see any blistering or failure mode of the teflon liner!

Best,

The fuel flowing through it will keep the temp down------how much, or how long, I have no idea, but it is a factor.

You can boil water in a folded business card, over a candle----till the water is all gone, then the card burns up.

You can boil water in a folded business card, over a candle----till the water is all gone, then the card burns up.

Mike...
You had a little too much time sittin' around the station!!:D Now you know that I am going to spend my day trying that!:p

A retractable Lancair 360 placed next, 45 seconds behind! The second airport was overcast, variable at times to broken and since we had to make a 360 minimum, at the turn points, the Lancair made several at one airport in order to try and see the ground, costing him valuable time. I lucked out and saw the airport through a hole and went on.

Pierre,

Were you guys not allowed to use GPS? If not wouldn't that have shown the airports?

Congrats, BTW..

I did use my GPS.

I had the airports/checkpoints from last year as a flight plan, in my 430W, named R2R and simply activated it.

I did the turns manually and hardly lost any TAS, then re-activated the auto-pilot for that leg.

I had also experimented with the winds aloft on the way over there and knew to fly low going north and the 1500' southbound legs gave me an added 15-20 MPH GS. Enough to win by 45 seconds over the Lancair.

The rest is secret:)

Best,

Congratulations again on your win, Pierre. Your trophy is in the Ops building waiting for you tomorrow.

Lee...

Speeds?

Congratulations again on your win, Pierre. Your trophy is in the Ops building waiting for you tomorrow.

Lee...

Hi Lee and thanks for all the work you guys did in putting on a great show!

Would you kindly post speeds/times and airplane types?

Thanks,