Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Can anyone say for sure that both the garmin 430W and SL30 have internal splitters for VOR and Glideslope. In seaching, it appears that some 430s do and even a couple SL 30s.:rolleyes: Can I return my glideslope antennas?

Can anyone say for sure that both the garmin 430W and SL30 have internal splitters for VOR and Glideslope. In seaching, it appears that some 430s do and even a couple SL 30s.:rolleyes: Can I return my glideslope antennas?

I know for certain this is true of the SL30--I have a single archer wingtip nav antenna and have no trouble with VOR navigation and ILS.

I just plumbed up the coax for a 430W and a SL30.

SL30 does have the internal splitter. The 430W does not.

Confirmation on what Alton said; SL-30 has a single coax input for the nav side and splits out the GS internally. The GNS-430W has a seperate input for nav and GS so for it you'll either need both a nav and GS antenna or a diplexer (like a Comant CI-507) to split the GS signal out from a nav antenna.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Appears to be the case for the...

I just plumbed up the coax for a 430W and a SL30.

SL30 does have the internal splitter. The 430W does not.

...non-"W" version of the 430 as well.

My IM shows two separate BNC inputs for GS and VOR/LOC co-ax.

Thanks all. I think I'll go with a diplexer for the 430.

An alternative to a splitter (which will cut down your signal strength to the VOR) is a very simple "stripped-wire" Glideslope antenna. Take a piece of Coax, strip off 18" of braid, and mount it in your cowl or on the windshield bow - put a BNC on the other end and connect it to the 430's GS input. Nice strong signal, and the VOR doesn't lose half it's input signal!

Paul

Not quite half

VOR doesn't lose half it's input signal!

Hi Paul,

The homemade antenna is a great idea and way cheaper than the diplexer. Just so no one gets the wrong idea - the specs claim an insertion loss of 0.5 DB and that would translate to approximately 12% loss in signal level. I'm sure you didn't mean the half literally.

Regards
Richard

RV-7A - Phase I

Wow - 0.5 dB - doesn't sound like much, but that translates into a lot of miles difference between a reliable VOR lock and unreliable noise with a flag. I'm a little surprised the internal unit does not pre-amp the signal first before splitting internally, that would be the common-sense way to do that.