Geico266

Well Known Member
Another post got me to thinking. Yes, I know....dangerous :cool:. I think it was Ron Lee that said he was tired of going to the same ol breakfast flyins and "yearned for something new". What do you guys & gals do to keep RV flying fun and exciting? Challenging? How do you keep the passion alive?

I try to maintain the flying machines to the highest standards. I love doing mods and maintenance. I do pattern work and local flying working on landings in the -3, and leaning sport aerobatics. I like hanging out with the airport bums and visit several local airports seeing who is doing what. Several cool building projects are fun to watch asw they progress.

I think setting goals is a good way to keep active and keep the passion alive. What goals / flying activities do you all set to keep the fire alive? What flying trips are you planning for next year?

What new flying skills are you going to learn? TG endorsement? Acro?

Don't let flying get old. Set goals and plan stuff!

Last edited:
Head out west and see all the scenery. There are thousands and thousands of square miles of panoramic beauty...............all west of Denver. :D

L.Adamson ---- RV6A, KSLC/U42

Fly an Extra 300...

...down in Florida/St Augustine. I spoke with them last week and want a refresher/reviver flight. Brian is going with me so that he can better his flying aero skills for his -4. They charge $450/hr/wet and fly around 30-45 minutes per flight.... about right for a $300,000 machine.

They'll tailor flights to suit you or enroll you in either their basic acro course or just do wake turbulence/upset/spin training.

Down south, we have many beautiful islands and marshes with seafood restaurants aplenty which Jenny and I visit often. Mannan and company are close in the beautiful north Georgia mountains as well.

Regards,

Join A Formation Flying Group...

The folks at FFI have made safe, documented, progressive procedures that allow RV pilots to learn Formation Flying. It is extremely challenging and you will learn new things about you and your airplane.

Maybe something like geocaching? I think it would be pretty cool to go on a cross-country aircraft-based treasure hunt. Of course, the rules would have to be modified a little, and common sense would have to prevail, as in don't hide anything too far from the airport, or so as to cause a safety or security issue at said airport.

I think that would be a blast.

The folks at FFI have made safe, documented, progressive procedures that allow RV pilots to learn Formation Flying. It is extremely challenging and you will learn new things about you and your airplane.

Ya know, that is a great idea! I just might have to look into that.

I like the geocatching thing also! That sounds like a hoot!

We used to have a semi-occasional, informal flying group at work that would do poker runs and the like. One interesting activity was a competition to see how many airports you could land at in a two-hour period. I think the winner hit 11 airports - of course, that is in a major Metro area with lots of fields - out there in the middle of nowhere, you might have to make it four hours Larry...;)

I suggest taking up soaring. One of the primary reasons I bought my -4 was its ability to quickly get me to a distant soaring site, soar and return the same day.

Finding lift is a challenge that takes years to perfect and like flying, you never stop learning new tricks. Gaining thousands of feet without an engine will always put an RV grin on your face and not having the ability to go around, ensures that there?s never a dull moment.

Once you?ve become familiar with a given site and you find yourself getting bored, you can always look into racing or x-country soaring.

www.ssa.org/

Yes...I yearn

1300 hours in six years. I have flown to see Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Grand Canyon, North Eleuthera in the Bahamas (Pink beach), Meteor Crater, Kitty Hawk, Key West, Catalina Island, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Piney Pinecreek, LOE several times, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon many times, Saguaro National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, Cabellas in Sydney Nebraska, Goodland Kansas for cinnamon rolls, White Sands NM, swim with manatees, and beaucoup mountain breakfast flights. Many times I have flown in the late fall evening to watch the sunset.

I have expanded my flying comfort zone tremendously.

Flights have been canceled for weather. Flights have been changed for weather and mechanical issues. When it comes to marginal weather I am a wuss and darn proud of it.

I have enjoyed the variety and friendly attitude I encounter at almost every GA airport.

I am a bit slow to realize that many ATC facilities do not care for GA but stubbornly I keep trying to play nice.

When avgas went over $5 USD I dropped my flying from 250 hours/year to around 100. I doubt that I will get to that figure again even when gas drops to $3 USD a gallon.

With everything that I have done is six years, my feeling now is best described by "yearning." For what I don't know.