Steve Brown

Well Known Member
We've had our Rv9A for a year now, so we tallied the dollars to see what it really cost to fly this thing. Curious how this compares to what others are paying as well.

Expenses:
Repairs Total $68
Maintenance Total $1,391 (includes $500 for annual)
Fuel Total $3,787
Freight Total $270

Total GPS Flight hours 122

Expense per hour $45 + $10 for engine reserve

Unfortunately fixed costs overshadow expenses:
Subscriptions Total $615 (XM Weather)
Hanger/Tie down Total $5,170
Insurance Total $1,971 (going down to under $1400 now)

Fixed cost per hour $64

I also have some improvements, the purchase price, sales tax, etc., but I won't know how all that comes out till I sell the airplane

One angle: Total for last year was about $119 per hour.

This is not too bad, considering that it is always said that the cheapest way to fly it is rent. I couldn't come close to covering the same flying miles at that cost with a rental. First of all I'd get charged for Hobbs hours, so add 20%. Then it would be at least $200 per hour for an airplane of similar speed. So, renting would have cost me more than 2x for the same flying.

The way I like to look at it:

It costs me $55 per hour to go fly the airplane, which is pretty economical at 160Kts. So, I should do more flying to bring down that $119 total.

costs per hour

Or you could say that the first hour every year costs $7240 (total fixed costs plus 1 hour operating costs), and every hour after that costs $55.00. :)

Ugly reality...

We've had our Rv9A for a year now, so we tallied the dollars to see what it really cost to fly this thing. Curious how this compares to what others are paying as well.

Looks reasonable, the fixed costs are a huge variable depending on the cost of a hangar.

Being in California, you should include the property tax, mine is a little over $800. a year. Also, don't forget to at least calculate reserves for engine overhaul and avionics, reduces the shock of facing an overhaul.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Woah!

I'm glad to be paying $140 a month for hangar rent and Oregon property tax is zero!

Frank

Holy ****! I'm moving to oregon! Hangar fees are a huge part of the costs of airplane ownership down here in southern california. I'm a long ways from needing a hangar, but I may have to move to afford to keep the plane I'm building!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Arizona.. no property tax (on homebuilts) just a registration fee of $25/year... have to put a sticker on the tail...