Watzlavick

Sponsor
I installed a GSA 28 yaw damper in my RV-10 but there's no information in the manual for the bridle cable tension. For the first attempt, I had a helper push on both rudder cables and I tightened the cable clamps with the bridle cables pulled as tight as I could get but there was a lot of free play at the rudder afterwards when powered. For the next iteration, I disconnected one of the cables at the rudder and adjusted the clamps until I had to pull a bit to get the lug to mate at the rudder. That got the free play down to around 0.5 inches at the trailing edge but I'm worried too much tension on the cables will wear out the servo bearings. I talked to G3Xpert and they don't have a specification for bridle cable tension but suggested 15-20 lbf based on customer feedback. They also said to ensure the bridle cable isn't as tight as the main cable which isn't really possible on a slack system like the RVs have. I can loosen it a bit but there will be more free play, not sure how that would affect the YD performance in flight. Any suggestions on what did or didn't work?

-Bob

I found it difficult if not impossible to get any actual tension into the system as such.
My first attempt had obvious slack which I removed the second time around the same way as you. A helper.
I haven’t measured the actual slack at the TE but when I did the push the tail trick to test IAW the manual there’s no obvious takeup of slack like there was initially.
In service it’s been great. Ball glued in the middle all the time.

I talked to G3Xpert and they don't have a specification for bridle cable tension but suggested 15-20 lbf based on customer feedback. They also said to ensure the bridle cable isn't as tight as the main cable which isn't really possible on a slack system like the RVs have.
15-20 lbf sounds high but I did as Richard did just made sure when I pushed on the rear of the fuselage gently the rudder moved in the opposite way immediately. In a climb out still need to hold some right rudder but side gusts are dampened very quickly. Typically, I turn on the yaw dampener before departure and if I forget get quickly reminded. Really nice system.