JVolkober

Well Known Member
Ok, so after I mounted the engine I discovered, well forgot, that I need to put the oil pressure fitting in. I was able to get it in and apparently tight with the engine mounted. Am I fooling my self, is it as tight as it should be?

If I have to remove the engine, can I simply take the mount off the firewall. Will that provide the access to properly tighten the fitting?

Hi John,

Its been a little while, but I seem to remember that it is the mount itself that gets in the way, so I don't think pulling the mount off the firewall, but still attached to the engine will help. (This will help other things though if you need to later, like fuel pump, prop governor)

I'm actually a little surprised you were able to turn it at all - on my IO-360, it would not turn a full turn. So if you got it screwed in, maybe its OK. You'll know when you start the engine....

good luck.

Just remove the top two engine mount bolts....

....with the engine hanging from a hoist. Allow it to sag with the lower bolts loosened until you have enough room to turn the fitting in.

We just had to do this as well.

Best,

Update

Well, we, my grandson and I, reviewed the situation this evening. We attempted to make one additional turn on the fitting, unsuccessfully. Looking at it closely, the fitting was screwed in with about two turns showing and it felt tight. It appeared unlikely that we could turn it an additional 270 degrees or so to get it into a position where we could attach the hose. So, I made the executive decision to move forward as is and not take the engine off the mount to work on the fitting further. The risk is an oil leak later, but I don't expect it. We used a three-inch long crescent wrench to accomplish this with the engine mounted. Frankly, looking at the situation, it?s hard to see how having the engine off the mount would help much. The primary issue was the wrench running into the adjacent fitting on the engine casing. I don't see how having the engine off the engine mount helps much. In the end, we will see when we run the engine, six months or so from now.

Thank you for your suggestions.

John

Update - 2 : Correction

Well, embarrassingly, I now see that I installed the fitting in the wrong port. I installed it in the port in the housing to which the oil filter is attached. It is now very clear, that to install it in the proper location, the engine must be removed from the engine mount. There is clearly no access without removing the engine.

So, anybody reading this who is wondering from my earlier discussion if it is possible to install the fitting with the engine mounted, wonder no more. If you did not install it before mounting the engine, then you will have to take the engine off the mount.