skipwoodham

I'm New Here
Starting to think about engine choice and very interested in the XP-400 (w/Whirlwind 3 blade)for the -8. Plan on doing Sportsman level aerobatics. Any input, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently flying the Superior XP-400 prototype in my Lancair. I just turned over 100 hours.

One word:
Awesome

I have not had one issue with anything at all. All the guys at Superior have been great. We will be building a new cowl soon to get rid of some extra air. It cools very very well and we are going to reduce some cooling drag. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and answer them for you.

Thanks
Tom
N54SG.com

An -8 will go around sportsman and intermediate very well with a 180hp motor - but if you want an XP400 I'm not going to stop you:) Just make sure you fit an aerobatic prop! Pete

An -8 will go around sportsman and intermediate very well with a 180hp motor - but if you want an XP400 I'm not going to stop you:) Just make sure you fit an aerobatic prop! Pete
Ok, I?m ignorant. What?s the difference between an aerobatic propeller and a regular propeller?

Ok, I’m ignorant. What’s the difference between an aerobatic propeller and a regular propeller?

In terms of constant speed props, a regular prop defaults to full fine when there is insufficient oil pressure for the governor to drive the prop hub....but an aerobatic prop defaults to full coarse. In other words the aerobatic prop prevents a sudden engine overspeed in the event of a temporary (or perhaps permanent) loss of engine oil pressure in a critical attitude.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good stuff on the WW prop, and it's a little less expensive than MT. Still have to decide if the XP400 is worth the extra expense over the IO360.

I am currently flying the Superior XP-400 prototype in my Lancair. I just turned over 100 hours.

One word:
Awesome

Thanks
Tom
N54SG.com

If I remember reading about your airplane many times, do you have a 'Race' version 250hp(?) XP-400SRE?

Last edited:
If I remember reading about your airplane many times, do you have a 'Race' version 250hp(?) XP-400SRE?

Yes, it is the SRE. A bit more than 250 actually :) The redline is 3400, so I often play around at 2700 (prop redline) and it isn't even working hard.

If you sneak it up a few more rpms it starts to come alive, big time! Now somebody just needs to build a prop that will do that sort of rpm. Although I often find myself way to close to redline on the airframe now, but man it would be cool to rev it out.