npowell

Well Known Member
I was planning to add weather to my avmap, but just learned that the wxworx module plugs into the same RS-232 port as my autopilot. I use the AP much of the time and hate to lose that capability.

I understand I can put a switch in the cable, but that means changing the setting on the Avmap to turn off the WX each time. Is anyone doing that and, if so, how is it working for you? Any thoughts?

Is anyone using satellite feed rather than 3G to put xm weather on an IPAD?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Neal Powell
RV-9A Flying

Neal,
I have WX and Dynon hooked up at same time (no switch) since Dynon is receiving info only and WX receiver is sending info only. So I don't have to disconnect/reconnect cables. But, you do have to turn off the WX on the EKP-IV if you want communications to the Dynon and turn WX back on when you want weather. I find it to be a inconvenient at best, but do able.
Waiting for the EKP V so I won't have to do it any more.

Thanks

I am curious about how you hooked up the cables with only one rs-232 jack. Did you just splice the second cable in, or did you find a connector cable with two female jacks and one male?

How pleased have you been with the weather product itself? Also, how long does it take for the wx to come up after you turn it on?

Thanks again,

Neal

Last edited:
Neal,

I took one cable from EKP to two female connectors mounted to one of the panel ribs. Hard wired to connectors with male plug on EKP end. Connected them in parallel and then ran double male connector to WX unit and single ended male to Dynon. The WX works great. Came in VERY handy two years ago on trip to OSH when weather developed. We were able to watch the storm almost real time and came in behind it. If we had not had the WX we probably would have had to overnight it in Iowa. As for connect/disconnect time. I think it takes about 20-30 seconds to disconnect (maybe less) but it can take several minutes to update weather info when turned on. Which is probably normal for all units using XMWX.