mayo3808

Well Known Member
I would like to install XM weather in my new RV-9A. I have AFS 3500EE, 430W,and had planned to install wxwork receiver and connect to EFIS. But was thinking maybe I should install 396-496. It would give me a backup GPS and I could have weather up on it. My EFIS does have the moving map feature installed.Decisions decisions,would do you guys think would be the best decision?
Thanks Brent

I would go with the 496 & XM Weather. You can take the 496 with you and use it in your vehicle or another plane, and as a turn by turn auto guidance with weather also. You can also add XM radio and pick up tunes. Very handy.

AFS and weather

I have AFS and WX, and I'm happy with it. Overall cost, the appeal of leveraging existing equipment, and avoiding the requisite tangle of wires and mounts for a portable were my primary reasons.

That being said, you cannot beat the WX implementation on the Garmin stuff. They support the full Aviator WX package, and they do it well.

I'm too cheap to buy the full WX subscription, and the Aviator lite WX package is enough for me. The AF displays the nexrad and I can get metars for my destination or any nearby airport. I don't know if AFS supports much else with WX, so if you're looking for winds aloft or satellite imagery, you might need to check with AFS on their support for other wx features.

What the heck, here's a shot of WX on the AFS.
web.jpg