Darren S

Well Known Member
Garmin support is closed till Monday. I installed a Garmin Area 510 with XM Weather yesterday in my -7.

The antennae was sitting on the glare shield. I also tried my new Zulu 2 for the first time. There was a lot of feedback in the headset. I thought it was the headset so I turned it way down. I now think it's the XM antennae.

Questions:

1. Do you guys mount the antennae externally?
2. What's a Ground Loop Isolator and where to get one if that's a solution? (the manual mentioned this)
3. Is there a way to Bluetooth the XM Radio or am I stuck with the cord?

Thanks,

Darren

My XM weather antenna for the Garmin 496 & 696 has always been on the glareshield with no problem at all.

Thanks for that. After work I'm heading out and going to try with my old faithful Zulu 1 and see. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree:)

Darren

I have a 510 and the original Zulu's. No issues whatsoever. My antenna is on the glare shield.

Dont know what you have for avionics but the fast proccesors in the efis units interferes with gps and xm signals. I have to mount antannaes 24-36 inches away from instrument panels

I do

Mine is under the cowling and I cannot receive service most of the time.
It's next to the GPS antena and it works fine.
I only subscribed to music and I am not 100% sure my reception problem is the antena. I am planning to relocate it to the top of the glareshield to see what happens.
I've been able to receive service for several hour uninterupted but the strange thing is, I lose service in the middle of a flight, flying straight and level in cruise.
Other times I simply don't have service on start up.

My panel has an Advanced 3500 and Bendix/King KMD150.

My Engineer brother just told me a few things to try. He said the power cord to the cigarette lighter could be a cause or possibly the Ground is "dirty". He said to try the battery alone and see, if not then move the antennae.

So a couple of things to try. Thanks for the help.

Darren

I like to update/conclude a thread I started in hopes of helping someone else one day.

Did a few things today at the hanger and it turns out that my brand spanking new Zulu 2 is the problem. No radio interference or squealing in the other headsets I tried. The power cord, XM antennae all produced no problem despite their placement.

Go figure !!

It's like a post I just finished reading on a rough running engine. The fella rebuilt his mags, changed the plugs and dang near rebuilt the engine trying to solve the roughness. Turned out that 2 of the brand new fine wire plugs he bought were faulty :( Harder one to solve.

Darren

It's like a post I just finished reading on a rough running engine. The fella rebuilt his mags, changed the plugs and dang near rebuilt the engine trying to solve the roughness. Turned out that 2 of the brand new fine wire plugs he bought were faulty :

Poor troubleshooting......:eek:

Antena moved

Darren,
I too like it when threads come to a conclusion with a solution at the end.

First, I moved my xm antena to the top of the glare shield and it appears to work.
Have not had a chance to fly it yet but even with an open hangar door I receive
a signal and xm channels.

Not sure you have a problem with your Zulus. I have those in my 10 and picked up all kinds of noise at the beginning before I tweaked all the settings.
Once set, the audio is exceptional on the Zulus. In my case, it was a matter of setting the internal radio gain settings as well as mic gain settings on the headset to the correct position before my audio was clean and clear.
My symtoms were the same as yours, unbearable feedback, as well as noise.
All of my audio receptions and transmissions are loud and clear and the music sounds great.