WhiskeyMike

Well Known Member
I posted a question in another thread asking about the pilot's experience with XM weather reception in Mexico, but would also appreciate receiving a broader range of feedback regarding the experience of others. The Baja peninsula is of particular interest...all the way down to Cabo San Lucas. But what about Cancun to the east, and generally how far south can one expect to consistently pick up the signal? Finally, am I correct to assume that if you can get the satellite radio signal you should also be able to receive the weather data? Uninformed minds (like mine) want to know...:rolleyes:

Thank in advance for any feedback!

There are probably two parts to your question - the first is if you have satellite coverage, and the second is whether or not there is any weather data to send you. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the satellite coverage, but I can tell you that when you look at the NEXRAD (Radar) data, it ends pretty much at the Texas/Mexico border. Don't know about METARS and TAFs.

Paul

There are probably two parts to your question - the first is if you have satellite coverage, and the second is whether or not there is any weather data to send you. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the satellite coverage, but I can tell you that when you look at the NEXRAD (Radar) data, it ends pretty much at the Texas/Mexico border. Don't know about METARS and TAFs.

Perhaps I should further clarify my question. Because XM is not (yet) licensed to provide satellite service in Mexico they do not provide an official footprint map for sat coverage in the country. However, there are unofficial maps online and numerous reports indicating reliable coverage (radio reception) as far south as Acapulco, east to Cancun and west to Cabo. On the XM WX website they show a radar coverage map which indicates that radar coverage does overlap the border in many places by as much as 50-100 miles. This suggests that radar information may be available for these "near-border" areas. But is there ANY WX data available further south?

What I was interested in getting feedback on was the experience others have had receiving XM WX data "for Mexico" while flying in Mexico. If so, where were you and what WX data was available? Thanks very much!

Go to bajabushpilots.com and check their forums. Some report it down to Loreto, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.

Go to bajabushpilots.com and check their forums. Some report it down to Loreto, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.

Their website is actually the first place I looked, and they do have a wealth of great information, but you need to be a (paying) member before you can access it. I may end up joining their site at some point, but thought I would seek out some feedback here on VAF since I'm already a paying member, and since a lot of folks here have posted trip reports on flying into Mexico...