jpowell13

Well Known Member
I was taking a young friend who's interested in flying up for a local flight yesterday about 7pm which also happened to be during the LSU/Sam Houston State game. KBTR ATIS noted a TFR around the stadium which is south of the airport. We were headed north, so no problem, except that I never saw the red circle on my Garmin 560 when I checked TFR's. Other TFR's were displayed, but I never saw the one around the stadium. I rely pretty heavily on XM weather for TFR locations. I was just wondering if some TFR's are missed by XM weather. Maybe, if I had flown near the stadium I would have been warned by my GPS.

John

i don't believe xm wx displays stadium tfrs.:confused: i just found out today that fore flight will display stadium tfr times by tapping on the tfr ring. ;)

Good to know

Turbo,

That's good to know this time of year! I thought I had my bases covered on TFR's, but not necessarily so. Thanks for the answer to my question.

John

They have 3000 foot ceilings. Wonder if you were down that low if they would show up?
We have some huge towers nearby but they never show up unless I'm down that low...

ceilings

I was on on the ground when I first checked and never more than 3000 msl. Good to know you're Ok if you stay high.

I use ifly 720 and download TFR's prior to long flights. I'll check to see if they include stadiums.

excuse the rant

The FAA NOTAM system may be the most archaic thing out there. Bad enough that they use abreviations dating from the teletype age. But how many pilots know that the FAA expects pilots to subscribe to the written NOTAM publication? Or that once they appear in print NOTAMS can disappear from the current NOTAMs on line? If you call FSS you will generally not get all NOTAMs unless you specifically ask the briefer to check the book.
So there is a very old NOTAM, still in the book, concerning stadiums and large crowds. You are supposedly supposed to know that somehow. Often someone is on the ball and issues a new NOTAM for a current event. But sometimes not.
So it all depends on whether xm just looks at current NOTAMS, or if it is smart enough to know when there are stadium events going on.

There have been a couple of previous threads on the subject of stadium TFRs. They're covered by a blanket NOTAM that basically says "stay away", but provides no details. The applicable stadiums are not depicted on charts, and you're responsible for figuring out the schedules on your own (the ESPN website perhaps?). Its really kind of a ridiculous situation.

Fortunately Forelight, Weathermeister, and possibly others have started depicting them. As as I know XM still does not.

XM TFR's

I have heard that the people who actually send the notam info to XM work normal office hours. So if a notam gets issued on a weekend or holiday no one is in the office to connect all the dots for us to get the data. With that being said football games and other events are scheduled well in advance so tfr's should be in the data stream to our planes. I'm pretty sure my XM paperwork has a disclaimer stating "Advisory Only", leaving it up to the pilot to do the actual research.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Garmin Pilot along with it's GDL 39 shows them. (I've got it in my plane) (Also shows ADS-B weather)

Last edited:
These TFR's are in effect until the event is over and the FAA doesn't know when a game, race, fair, etc. is over. Yet, you will be held accountable, should you bust one.

With that being said football games and other events are scheduled well in advance

Not with the $ coming from TV. College game times are routinely set only a week or so in advance. I attended Parents weekend at my sons school and they could not give a game time until one week before. Very annoying, as we couldn't book a hotel until the time was set (could have ranged from 9:00AM til 7:00 PM. Even NFL games aren't fully set. NBC gets to pick their Sunday night game a week in advance or at least they used to.

29ee0cae2637fd8fecab7e444b4ffafa.jpg

By tapping on the inactive circle the game list comes up with dates and times. This is new info for me. The faa doesn't have this info if you call for a briefing.

Ed,
What software is that? And where is the data coming from (internet?)
that is foreflight app. i believe the data is stored from the internet. you can get just about anything these days by just tapping in the right places. :D
d64650eb4b39bac282a06e8999cea5ec.jpg

LSU vs ULM

Just an update. I was back at the airport during the start of the LSU and ULM game last Saturday. Once again there was a TFR in effect that did not show up on my GPS. This game was of pretty much local interest only (broadcast on on ESPNU). I think the kickoff time was known well in advance. XM Weather is just not depicting these TFR's. Wonder what else they're not showing?

John

Last edited:
iFly and Stadium TFRs

I was flying near Hattisburg, MS Friday and my iFly alerted me to the stadium TFR for USM. Looks like they have most, if not all, the stadium TFR boundaries depicted. (They're hard to see unless you switch to the vector map mode.) Thanks iFly. Now I know where the stadium TFR's are and can plan to avoid them if there is any chance of an event. John