patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
I searched the forums but didn't see anything on this topic. I'm planning a new panel now and wondering what
other methods/services are out there for getting surface conditions, winds, fronts and the rest without this subscription?
I have long depended on XM Weather showing up on my Garmin 496. But, it's expensive! I have tried flying without using it a few times, but I don't like that much. I hear there are free services now available, but are they as good?

What are you using to get real time weather and why do you like it?
Ron
RV-4

Well, in a few years you will have to have ADSB..........

But only "Out" is mandated.

ADSB "In" will give you traffic and weather--------and you only pay for the equipment.

I flew with both ADS-B in and XM weather for about six months before canceling XM. Mostly to save $50/month.

XM weather is MUCH better than ADS-B weather and you can get XM weather while on the ground, before you takeoff.

I flew with both ADS-B in and XM weather for about six months before canceling XM. Mostly to save $50/month.

XM weather is MUCH better than ADS-B weather and you can get XM weather while on the ground, before you takeoff.

First long trip in the RV-10 to Key West I had both ADS-B in/out (SkyView) and XM Weather via a 396. I had both as I was not yet familiar with ADS-B weather. I constantly compared the two weather displays and found them to be exactly the same. When I got home the 396 got removed and the XM subscription cancelled.

Four years now with a boatload of cross country time and happy with just ADS-B weather. As pointed out, you will not get ADS-B weather on the ground other than at some towered airports. I got it just fine on the ground at Macon GA.

Carl

Search the forum for Stratux and you will like what you find. ADS-B weather and traffic for around $120 plus a few hours of assembly.

My biggest complaint about ADS-B vs XM is the loss of lightning strike data.

The radar good enough for me but not quite as detailed