I'd hazard a "Yes" guess, Larry....

....because the XM providers only want to know the number of your XM receiver at renewal time, not your 496,

Best,

can you use your 496 antenna with subscription to xm with your 696?? 695?? thanks.. larry

The part number for the 696 XM antenna is a GXM 40
for the 496 it is GXM 30

Different part numbers , to me, suggest they are not compatible.

The units ,physically look different although their mini usb plugs look the same.

The 695 is not XM capable.

The Aera series devices also use the GXM 40 so my assumption is that their XM antennas are compatible with the 696.

A call to Garmin will tell you what the differences are...the difference between the GXM 30 and 35 is the magnet in the base. 35 doesn't have the magnet. I'll bet the 40 just looks different but is functionally identical.

test

i tested another antenna on my 496 and it worked. i did this to trouble shoot my set-up which was not working. it turned out that my antenna was bad. :confused:$$$$$$$ to fix the problem.

The GXM 40 is the replacement for the GXM 30/30A. A GXM 30A is a GXM 30 without a magnet. I don't know what a GXM 35 is. :)

A 396, 496, or 696 can use either the GXM 30/30A or the GXM 40.

The newer aera series can only use the GXM 40.

Hope that helps.

mcb

The hockey puck is....

i tested another antenna on my 496 and it worked. i did this to trouble shoot my set-up which was not working. it turned out that my antenna was bad. :confused:$$$$$$$ to fix the problem.

....actually a receiver with it's own built-in antenna. The cable merely sends the X96 info,

Best,