txaviator

Well Known Member
Sorry for the dumb question....however, I constantly read where folks are jamming out to everything from Pink Floyd to Willie Nelson while carving holes in the sky :D

My question is this: do these types of set-ups have some sort of an internal switch, so that when ATC or other radio transmissions occur, the music dies and you can hear the aircraft radio?

Years ago, back in the days of 30-pound cell phones mounted in your vehicle, my Alpine (hard-mount) telephone had a feature such as I described....if the tunes were blasting and someone called me, the music muted and I could hear the phone ringing through the vehicle speakers.

I was just wondering how this concept is wired up and works in the experimental aircraft world? I am sure it is a silly / simple answer, but please shed some light? Thanks in advance.........

The intercom does it

My intercom has a music input wired for my ipod. When I talk to the passenger or ATC the music is automatically muted.

One of my headphones has the same feature built right into it too.

I use an audio panel with a mute switch. With the switch un-active, the XM radio is muted when the comm or intercom function is used. But I don't use that feature as I don't play the music that loud. It's just always in the background when I have XM radio on.

As to high fidelity, I'd never claim that it sounds as good as XM does in my Chevy Silverado with Bose speakers, or what I get from a I-pod. The engine is just a bit too noisy! :D

L.Adamson

PS Engineering Audio panel

These guys have this stuff down to a science. I have XM radio connected to the audio panel input. I don't always listen to it, but on a nice, long cross country trip, it helps to have some music. If there's any talk on the radio, the music shuts off immediately, and when the talking stops it fades back in. The result is that you don't notice the choppiness of the music cutting in and out.

I'm sure PS Engineering isn't the only game in town, but they are a safe bet.

RVs are much better than Cessnas, et al, for playing the guitar solo from "Comfortably Numb" on the control stick. Playing it on a yoke causes wrist cramps.

The field reports that I have received for the ASX-2A or ASX-2B provide a bit more insight:

For the pilot or copilot, an almost complete mute (at least 26-30 dB) is required in order to allow coherent communications in most situations.

Non-pilot passengers don't like the auto-mute. They are (usually) not interested in radio communications. Some kind of bypass switch is useful in this situation.

For tour operators who operate with a number of pax who select individual audio language tracks, something in between is better. Field experience shows that about a 12 dB soft mute is ideal for this, allowing the crew to provide instructions without a complete interruption of the audio tracks.

Finally, don't expect to listen to tunes in busy airspace, it's pretty annoying to have the music interrupted constantly with radio traffic (or vice versa).

Vern

These guys have this stuff down to a science. I have XM radio connected to the audio panel input. I don't always listen to it, but on a nice, long cross country trip, it helps to have some music. If there's any talk on the radio, the music shuts off immediately, and when the talking stops it fades back in. The result is that you don't notice the choppiness of the music cutting in and out <snip>

I also fly with a PS Engineering intercom, and the feature that turns the (XM radio) music down automatically is called "Soft Mute". I too only listen to music on the long cross country trips (2500+ hours country hours and talk to ATC on every one of them ;-), however, I do not use the soft mute feature. My music remains on when there is talk on the radio, and I hear my call sign just fine.

I adjust the radio volume to be just a bit less than the music volume, and I have no problem hearing calls for "8 Papa Victor" with the music still on. Not all radio calls are for me and having the music soft mute for every call can actually make listening to the music not so enjoyable. Your mileage may vary :) Rosie

PS: We've met a few times at Arlington Gary :D

Last edited:
Mileage will vary. Some folks taking the approach above will hear radio calls to them just fine MOST of the time, but may still miss a critical call. Some have awsome situational awareness and hear every one up until the one that caused the accident.

I would recommend using a system with muting. It's built into most intercoms and modern audio panels, and is generally there specifically for this situation for the same reason that pax are muted when you push the mic button - to avoid misinterpretation.

Mileage will vary. Some folks taking the approach above will hear radio calls to them just fine MOST of the time, but may still miss a critical call. Some have awsome situational awareness and hear every one up until the one that caused the accident.

I would recommend using a system with muting. It's built into most intercoms and modern audio panels, and is generally there specifically for this situation for the same reason that pax are muted when you push the mic button - to avoid misinterpretation.

Nope.................. I use a PS Engineering audio panel & don't like muting the XM radio. I find it annoying! My comm radio levels are set at volumes which are easily heard over the XM broadcast. Same for pilot to passenger conversation. Just to make it interesting, I sometimes have four comm channels and the XM at the same time. And if I don't totally understand an important call, I can hit the button on the audio panel & the last call will replay. But in reality, I too only listen to XM on cross countries, and turn the volume all the way down when entering busy airspace. My home airport is under Class B.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

what do you need to get the XM radio to the intercom? Is there much difference in the different receivers, and do they fit in the panel or does it just depend on how you want to mount it? and for anyone that will reply, what radios are you using? or maybe just a quick list of radio, audio controller, xm or other sound sources listed? how many of you use harddrive or flash storage music devices instead of xm?

Last edited:
what do you need to get the XM radio to the intercom? Is there much difference in the different receivers, and do they fit in the panel or does it just depend on how you want to mount it? and for anyone that will reply, what radios are you using? or maybe just a quick list of radio, audio controller, xm or other sound sources listed? how many of you use harddrive or flash storage music devices instead of xm?

My XM is from my Garmin 696 GPS, along with a subscription for XM weather & XM radio. Because I use the XM weather service, the subscription prices to the 696 & truck radios are reduced. An I-pod can plug into my audio panel also. It's a PS Engineering 8000B.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

correct me if im wrong, but I think that almost every xcom, audio panel and headset currently produced have an audio input now. Also some comms. the main consideration would be whether they have some type of soft mute. (which I think most do). Though that function varies from manufacture to manufacture.

For instance I have an extremely old portable xcom that came with my plane. My headsets have audio inputs with soft mute. So I had been using an ipod with a splitter to go to each headset. Yesterday i pulled the xcom to reroute the wires and I found an audio input AND OUTPUT on the back of the unit with no label. Only thing is that the xcom has no soft mute, but I did eliminate 50% of the wires strung through my tiny cockpit!

Nope.................. I use a PS Engineering audio panel & don't like muting the XM radio. I find it annoying!

It's supposed to be - that's why it gets your attention. Teaching yourself to tune out transmissions "not for me" is intentionally lowering your S.A. If you have the mental discipline to train yourself to tune out other calls, why not have the mental discipline to learn to not be annoyed by the radio muting?

You may NEVER have a problem, and I sincerely hope you don't - but it is an additional risk. You seem like a good guy, and I just don't want to read about you in an accident report.

I'm done. Please be safe.

Cheers,

Bill

It's supposed to be - that's why it gets your attention. Teaching yourself to tune out transmissions "not for me" is intentionally lowering your S.A. If you have the mental discipline to train yourself to tune out other calls, why not have the mental discipline to learn to not be annoyed by the radio muting?

You may NEVER have a problem, and I sincerely hope you don't - but it is an additional risk. You seem like a good guy, and I just don't want to read about you in an accident report.

I'm done. Please be safe.

Cheers,

As I previously said, I don't play the music very loud. And no, I don't feel it's a risk at all. If it was loud, then muting is the answer. Both of my comm volumn settings are higher than the XM. I don't miss them or tune them out.

But thanks for worrying :), as most of us do. I too, read the NTSB reports three times a week. Mon, Wed, and Friday. We learn from others mistakes, bad luck, etc.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

From Rosie: Totally agree with all that Larry has said. Not a problem: Don't miss them, don't tune them out.

Last edited by a moderator: