Jimd

Well Known Member
Anyone else notice long lag times in WX updates last Saturday afternoon?

The wife and I were on the way back to Des Moines from Topeka mid afternoon on Sat before Memorial day and I was getting wx at first but it stopped updating the radar and got to more than 1 hour old and never did update the rest of the way home.

I am starting to get irritated, it seems this is an ongoing issue and not just me...

Last edited:
Jim:

I was flying yesterday and noticed a slow update as well on my 496. Mine wasn't an hour though! I have a long taxi to the runway at my field and usually the XM is up and running before I take-off. Yesterday it took until about 15 minutes after launch to get the Nexrad. Once I looked at the Nexrad data it made sense though....the entire country was covered in rain showers! The more data there is, the longer it takes the push it over the satellites. That still doesn't explain your > 1hr delay though!

Do you have the latest firmware on your 496? It may be worth a try if you are having continuous problems. I have heard of other people having XM problems but luckily for me mine has always always worked perfectly.

I left Dalhart Saturday around noon for Las Vegas, NM. Taking a friend over there to pick up his Super Cub. XM worked on way over. Never came on for the 50 min trip home. Would have been nice too, lots of showers to dodge.

I had XM not work at all last week on a trip to Laramie, WY. I called them in the air and they "refreshed" my radio ID and it started working about 20 mins later. You might want to call them.

reset......

try turning it off and back on. this may help. check to see if the wx is still turned on. i have seen units with the wx turned off. how did that happen?